SCEA 'Clarifies' PSN Timeline

April 26, 2011 -

A new post from Patrick Seybold (Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media) on the PlayStation Blog attempts to clarify some of the facts that were released earlier today by SCEA. Seybold says that SCEA first identified that there was a security breach of PSN and that user data might have been compromised on April 19.

It wasn't until yesterday, says Seybold, that the security firm it hired figured out that user data and credit card info had been compromised. Today it shared that information with the public. Below is Seybold's post from PlayStation Blog:

"I wanted to take this opportunity to clarify a point and answer one of the most frequently asked questions today.

There’s a difference in timing between when we identified there was an intrusion and when we learned of consumers’ data being compromised. We learned there was an intrusion April 19th and subsequently shut the services down. We then brought in outside experts to help us learn how the intrusion occurred and to conduct an investigation to determine the nature and scope of the incident. It was necessary to conduct several days of forensic analysis, and it took our experts until yesterday to understand the scope of the breach. We then shared that information with our consumers and announced it publicly this afternoon.

For those who were looking there’s also an FAQ with some more frequently asked questions

Thank you for your continued patience and support."

The FAQ can be found here. This statement sounds like Sony trying to back-track on just how long it took them to inform consumers that their data and credit card info had been stolen. We will continue to follow this story as it develops.

Source: PlayStation Blog

Comments

Re: SCEA 'Clarifies' PSN Timeline

Between this and Jack Tretton's comment, Sony sure has been running headlong backward in its PR lately.

Re: SCEA 'Clarifies' PSN Timeline

You say that as if it's a recent phenomenon. I know lolsony jokes stopped being funny a few years ago, but they never stopped being true.

Re: SCEA 'Clarifies' PSN Timeline

"We learned that someone got into our systems, you know, where we store all your information. So instead of telling you guys 'Hey, someone got into our systems, be on the look out for your information being stolen' we decided to sit on it a few days and make ABSOLUTELY SURE that someone had stolen your information before letting you guys know."

Stay classy, Sony.

Andrew EisenA bit busy with my 30 Days of Netflix project but I did play through the first world of New Super Mario Bros. 2 at a sushi restaurant last night.05/23/2015 - 10:59am
MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm