Report: New York State AG Subpoenas Sony over Security Breach

May 5, 2011 -

According to this Bloomberg report, the New York State Attorney General has subpoenaed Sony over its ongoing security breach. Citing sources close to the situation, Bloomberg reports that New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman is seeking further information on the security breach of Sony's PlayStation Network and Sony Online Entertainment.

Specifically his department is taking a closer look at what Sony told customers about the security of its networks and when it told customers. The probe is supposedly part of a "consumer protection inquiry," according to the Bloomberg report.

From the report:

"Schneiderman is seeking information on what Sony told customers about the security of their networks, as part of a consumer protection inquiry, said the person familiar with the matter, who wasn’t authorized to speak publicly."

Sony claims that it did not inform customers because it might cause confusion:

"Sony was concerned 'that announcing partial or tentative information to consumers could cause confusion and lead them to take unnecessary actions if the information was not fully corroborated by forensic evidence,' the company said in a letter today in response to questions about the breach from the U.S. House subcommittee on commerce and trade."

Source: Kotaku

Comments

Re: Report: New York State AG Subpoenas Sony over Security ...

you know, my bank sends me a letter every time they have a sercurity breach, even though every time they also have stated that no personal data was retrieved.

"Sony was concerned 'that announcing partial or tentative information to consumers could cause confusion and lead them to take unnecessary actions if the information was not fully corroborated by forensic evidence,''

So you could have told customers that there was a potential breach. I'm certain people wouldn't have minded taking their own actions to have their accounts watched while the situation was being figured out. Instead they chose to give their customers nothing and hoping it wasn't a big deal.

-Austin from Oregon

Feel free to check out my blog.

Re: Report: New York State AG Subpoenas Sony over Security ...

When told nothing, one's mind can fill i nthe blanks with the worst possible scenarios.

Re: Report: New York State AG Subpoenas Sony over Security ...

...are you saying they should have said more or less? I'm missing your point apart from your wizard talk impression.

-Austin from Oregon

Feel free to check out my blog.

Matthew WilsonI went as a kid. no real desire to go back.05/06/2015 - 8:34pm
Andrew EisenI'll go there someday. Just don't have the money or time right now. Need someone to go with too and that makes it even more of a logistical challenge.05/06/2015 - 8:32pm
Wonderkarpthis year I'm going to Disney World so I cant wait till Winter.05/06/2015 - 8:30pm
WonderkarpWinter is the worse....for my wallet05/06/2015 - 8:30pm
Andrew EisenWinter is the worst for me. Especially around Christmas time.05/06/2015 - 8:26pm
Wonderkarpknow what I hate? Month of May. my Sinus's are on fire.05/06/2015 - 8:25pm
Andrew EisenIn other news, I just realized what a mistake it was to start my 30 Days of Netflix project on YouTube the same month Age of Ultron came out.05/06/2015 - 8:24pm
Goth_SkunkI know. :P05/06/2015 - 8:13pm
Andrew EisenGoth - Great. Just don't be a dick about it! (not aimed at you)05/06/2015 - 8:13pm
Matthew Wilson@goth do it in a reasonable manner thought. do not harass her.05/06/2015 - 8:13pm
Mattsworknamelots of gamers fall into that p roblem, as do some feminists and other grooups05/06/2015 - 8:11pm
Goth_SkunkI think when someone is as influential as Sarkeesian is, having and espousing that opinion is dangerous. It has to be challenged. She has to be told, 'No, you're wrong about this.' And her influence should suffer as a result.05/06/2015 - 8:11pm
Mattsworknamegg has its bad actors and most moderate ggs dislike or outright work against them. be careful not to let your own hate or bias make you act like those you accuse05/06/2015 - 8:10pm
Andrew EisenMatt - Hell, sometimes minorities (peoples, opinions, whatever) themselves are just so damn scary to a number of the majority that they get marginalized whether there were so called bad actors or not.05/06/2015 - 8:09pm
Mattsworknamemechacrash, my point was that groups get marked by the actions of minoritys among them. as andrew points out, this isn't just feminist or gg, it's universal due to the wide spread use of social media05/06/2015 - 8:07pm
Andrew EisenI meant there's nothing wrong with having that opinion, not that it's completely unassailable. It's certainly not.05/06/2015 - 8:07pm
Andrew EisenOf course she does. She's linked to several of them.05/06/2015 - 8:05pm
Goth_SkunkI'm disagreeing with your statement that there's nothing wrong with the opinion. And I certainly am NOT fine with her opinion. I'm fine with her right to say it.05/06/2015 - 8:05pm
Andrew EisenGoth - I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. You're fine with her opinion, you don't agree with it and think it should be challenged. Great! We're on the same page!05/06/2015 - 8:04pm
Wonderkarpwanna know something she doesnt have? A Study backing up her claims. http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/04/10/new-study-finds-no-link-between-gaming-and-sexist-attitudes/05/06/2015 - 8:04pm