Canadian Teen Confesses to Murder Via a Bugged Xbox 360

May 6, 2011 -

A Canadian teenager was brought to justice by an Xbox 360, Guitar Hero, and an uncle who was already in trouble with the law. The combination has landed the unnamed teenager from Saskatoon, Canada in jail, according to a CBC report. Police had their suspicions that the young man had committed a murder so they approached his uncle to take him down. The murder in question took place in 2009; police allege that the boy murdered 16 year-old Charlotte Jolly with a stolen rifle after a fight in an alley.

The uncle was more than happy to participate in the sting because police promised to drop a drunk driving charge for his help.

The uncle invited his nephew into his home to play some Guitar Hero on the Xbox 360, but what the boy did not know was that police had secretly bugged the system. After a marathon session of the game, the boy confessed to his uncle - and unwittingly to the police. He has been arrested on murder charges and is in custody.

Some free advice to any murderers out there: loose lips sink ships.

Source: Kotaku

Comments

Re: Canadian Teen Confesses to Murder Via a Bugged Xbox 360

Heavens to betsy. This has nothing to do with gaming.

If they'd tapped his phone and listened to a conversation he had on his iPhone, would it be iPhone news?

Gaming is something ordinary people do. That includes people who commit crimes, people who witness crimes, and people who investigate crimes.

Can GP, as well as many other sites, stop treating tangential involvement of gaming hardware, software, or activities in otherwise unrelated events when those events are sensational-- like murder or the investigation or prosecution of murder?

At worst, it hurts the hobby when websites that claim to be serving gamers as an audience by continually associating it with things that most of the hobby's proponents vehemently deny that it promotes-- like violence.

At best, it's merely uninteresting because it's actually got nothing to do with gaming.

Re: Canadian Teen Confesses to Murder Via a Bugged Xbox 360

I so agree with this sentiment. This site is supposed to be "Where Politics and Video Games Collide" and it seems to have become "Anything That Remotely Mentions Video Games." Heck, even the stories about Sony's woes aren't really anything to do with politics. It seems that since Jack Thompson lost his voice this site has nothing to report so it's just become another Kotaku.

Re: Canadian Teen Confesses to Murder Via a Bugged Xbox 360

Man the uncle sold him out. Thats wrong.

Re: Canadian Teen Confesses to Murder Via a Bugged Xbox 360

Are you ****ing with me? He took another person's LIFE! Without any sort of valid reason. Unless rehabilitated, that person would not only be extremely dangerous free, but also, that's the least owed to the lost one's family and friends.

Re: Canadian Teen Confesses to Murder Via a Bugged Xbox 360

More wrong than murder?

Re: Canadian Teen Confesses to Murder Via a Bugged Xbox 360

This could set the kid straight.

Re: Canadian Teen Confesses to Murder Via a Bugged Xbox 360

Does this normally happen? Does GH inspire an urge to confess?

5 stars! Dad, steve isn't just my roommate...

-Austin from Oregon

Feel free to check out my blog.

Re: Canadian Teen Confesses to Murder Via a Bugged Xbox 360

LOL

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenIf that's true, maybe she's willing to lose her tax exempt status by merchandising. So? Also not a problem with her Kickstarter. And no, I don't have to be a rep of FemFreq to point out how nonsensical, irrelevant and untrue all this nonsense is.01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenShe doesn't say it's not her footage and she never said she'd record all her own footage. So this isn't a problem. I doubt she's said anything like "no women or non white people are critics of mine." Regardless, nothing to do with her Kickstarter.01/31/2015 - 6:41pm
Wonderkarpvalet about parking info01/31/2015 - 6:41pm
Wonderkarpyour glenn beck to her republican party. you can refut all you want, but its not going to matter until femfreq comes out and disputes these claims because you are not a member of fem freq. you are a second party. I dont ask the man standing next to the01/31/2015 - 6:39pm
Wonderkarpis free gifts01/31/2015 - 6:39pm
WonderkarpListen and Believe is one of the slogans Femfreq touts on twitter. and Non profits are in danger of losing their tax exempt status by merchandising. Its a big nono. I worked at the MDA for a while and they do NOT sell merchandise. anything they do have01/31/2015 - 6:38pm