Sony Japan: Services Fully Restarted By May 31

May 9, 2011 -

Sony Japan says that its PlayStation Network and Qriocity online services may not come back online until the end of May. Speaking to http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-09/sony-s-playstation-qriocity-ser... ">Bloomberg by phone, spokesman Shigenori Yoshida told the publication on Sunday that the services would remain offline and that the company is uncertain as to when they will be back online. Sony shut down the PlayStation Network and Qriocity April 20 because of security breach initiated by unknown hackers.

Yoshida added that the company is testing and adopting improved security measures and that the service would "restart the services fully by May 31."

Of course "fully" means fully operational with all services intact. Sony has said in the past that it would restart some of the services sooner than later.

We will continue to follow this story as it develops.

Source: Bloomberg

Comments

Re: Sony Japan: Services Fully Restarted By May 31

Why do I get the feeling that throughout all this, the folks that are over running XBLA can't stop smiling?

I mean, yes you could play your PS3 offline, but you're still not getting the full experience.  I haven't fired-up my PS3 since this whole thing started.   So essentially it has been bricked and will continue to be until PSN is back up.  So I guess you could say that PS3 owners may be getting a taste of what it's like to own a 360.

By contrast, my Xbox 360 is getting a lot of play.  But then again, it always has if only because my library for it is somewhat bigger, whereas my PS3 library is made up of proprietary titles (God of War, Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, Infamous) and older PS2 titles like the Kingdom Hearts series.

Re: Sony Japan: Services Fully Restarted By May 31

They shouldn't be because XBL has had it's share of similar problems, hasn't stopped fanboys from gloating though.

Re: Sony Japan: Services Fully Restarted By May 31

Supposedly, this May 31 date has been mistaken and that PSN will be back up sometime within May 2011.  Seems even more nebulous.

Re: Sony Japan: Services Fully Restarted By May 31

Actually the quote from Bloomberg is "by May 31". That means that the worst is May 31, but it can be anytime from now until then. So within May is right, but "by May 31" isn't incorrect. It just sounds worse, which makes better news for reporting.

Re: Sony Japan: Services Fully Restarted By May 31

Well, they did say that they hoped to have everything back online by the end of the month.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

---You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Re: Sony Japan: Services Fully Restarted By May 31

And to begin activating some services even sooner.

I think they simply want to get the economy secure before making it active again.

Problem is, will there be enough users left?

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm