Report: May 31 Date for PSN Relaunch Is False

May 10, 2011 -

Yesterday a Bloomberg report indicated that Sony expected the PlayStation Network to be "fully operational" by May 31. Sony's U.S. division quickly tried to clarify that statement, saying that it currently had no specific timeframe for when its services would be fixed. It's either a matter of miscommunication, backpedaling on Sony's part, or Bloomberg misunderstanding what Sony Japan spokesman Shigenori Yoshida said Sunday. Speaking to VentureBeat, U.S. Sony Computer Entertainment America spokesperson Patrick Seybold said the May 31 date is incorrect and that there is no new information about when the service will be back up.

As the VentureBeat report points out, if Sony waited until May 31 to get its services back online, it would be "catastrophic." Of course being down three weeks may prove to be just as "catastrophic" as waiting until the end of this month. No one knows fully how much money has been lost and how much damage has been to Sony's reputation in the long run..

Source: VentureBeat

Comments

Re: Report: May 31 Date for PSN Relaunch Is False

I love the end of the article. Not "...", not ".", but "..". When in doubt, aim to please everyone. ;)

(This comment should be read tongue-in-the-cheek and to help the article's editors to find and fix the mistake for future references.)

Re: Report: May 31 Date for PSN Relaunch Is False

Giving that Sony should be rolling services back out within days it could well be much sooner.

Re: Report: May 31 Date for PSN Relaunch Is False

People have been saying streaming media, digital distribution and cloud computing and storage are the wave of the future. I've never been entirely comfortable with them, though. And with good reason, it seems.

I'm not going to give up my physical disks any time soon, and I'm DEFINITELY not going to use cloud storage if the server isn't under my complete, direct control and even then, only healy encrypted files.

Re: Report: May 31 Date for PSN Relaunch Is False

Well, the end of May did seem a little optimistic.

MattsworknameYeah, i got started and then made it through t the first few misions anthen blood borne05/23/2015 - 10:13pm
Goth_SkunkWhich one, Dragon Age?05/23/2015 - 8:20pm
Wonderkarpalso waiting patiently for Batman.05/23/2015 - 7:36pm
MattsworknameIn still trying ot beat that game the first time. Freaking game has so much side questing05/23/2015 - 7:34pm
Goth_SkunkPlaying a third and probably final playthrough of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Once that's done, I'll move on to AC: Unity, most likely, then get caught up on A-list games I have yet to play, like Murdered: Soul Suspect and Shadows of Mordor.05/23/2015 - 6:33pm
MattsworknameIf you own a vita and like monster hunter, but dont like the bs filler that goes with it. Try tokiden kiwmai05/23/2015 - 6:11pm
Matthew Wilsonaparently their servers got crushed, but I dont see the game selling well. Nintendo fans tend not to be fans of competitive fps05/23/2015 - 5:48pm
MattsworknameSPlatton looks intersting, Love the are style, gonna give the game a try with the upcoming test fire05/23/2015 - 4:39pm
PHX Corp@Technogeek, I'm returning for one more Run with the Global testfire05/23/2015 - 3:41pm
WonderkarpI'm bouncing all over the place but right now I'd say I'm playing Super Mario 64 trying to max out the stars. 2 worlds and 2 secret stars to go05/23/2015 - 1:12pm
TechnogeekReminder: Splatoon Global Testfire returns this afternoon/evening.05/23/2015 - 12:45pm
Andrew EisenA bit busy with my 30 Days of Netflix project but I did play through the first world of New Super Mario Bros. 2 at a sushi restaurant last night.05/23/2015 - 10:59am
MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm