Report: May 31 Date for PSN Relaunch Is False

May 10, 2011 -

Yesterday a Bloomberg report indicated that Sony expected the PlayStation Network to be "fully operational" by May 31. Sony's U.S. division quickly tried to clarify that statement, saying that it currently had no specific timeframe for when its services would be fixed. It's either a matter of miscommunication, backpedaling on Sony's part, or Bloomberg misunderstanding what Sony Japan spokesman Shigenori Yoshida said Sunday. Speaking to VentureBeat, U.S. Sony Computer Entertainment America spokesperson Patrick Seybold said the May 31 date is incorrect and that there is no new information about when the service will be back up.

As the VentureBeat report points out, if Sony waited until May 31 to get its services back online, it would be "catastrophic." Of course being down three weeks may prove to be just as "catastrophic" as waiting until the end of this month. No one knows fully how much money has been lost and how much damage has been to Sony's reputation in the long run..

Source: VentureBeat

Comments

Re: Report: May 31 Date for PSN Relaunch Is False

I love the end of the article. Not "...", not ".", but "..". When in doubt, aim to please everyone. ;)

(This comment should be read tongue-in-the-cheek and to help the article's editors to find and fix the mistake for future references.)

Re: Report: May 31 Date for PSN Relaunch Is False

Giving that Sony should be rolling services back out within days it could well be much sooner.

Re: Report: May 31 Date for PSN Relaunch Is False

People have been saying streaming media, digital distribution and cloud computing and storage are the wave of the future. I've never been entirely comfortable with them, though. And with good reason, it seems.

I'm not going to give up my physical disks any time soon, and I'm DEFINITELY not going to use cloud storage if the server isn't under my complete, direct control and even then, only healy encrypted files.

Re: Report: May 31 Date for PSN Relaunch Is False

Well, the end of May did seem a little optimistic.

Poll

Who's responsible for crappy Netflix performance on Verizon?:

Papa MidnightGoogle+ Integration is coming to Twitch!07/25/2014 - 8:41pm
Matthew WilsonI agree with that07/25/2014 - 10:45am
IanCWelp, twitch is going to suck now. Thanks google.07/25/2014 - 6:30am
Sleaker@MP - Looked up hitbox, thanks.07/24/2014 - 9:40pm
MaskedPixelanteIt's the golden age of Hitbox, I guess.07/24/2014 - 6:08pm
Matthew WilsonGoogle is better than MS or Amazon.07/24/2014 - 5:33pm
Andrew EisenNor I. From a content producer's perspective, almost every change Google implements makes the service more cumbersome to use. It's why I set up a Facebook fan page in the first place; it was becoming too difficult to connect with my viewers on YouTube.07/24/2014 - 4:50pm