UK Culture Minister Warns Sony over Weak PSN Security

May 12, 2011 -

UK Culture Minister Ed Vaizey said that Sony must make security a priority going forward, but wouldn't say if the government would consider fining the company for its massive security breach that has seen around 100 million PSN users with compromised accounts an without online play for three weeks.

While his words were firm against Sony, the Culture Minister insisted that the government would not interfere with the Information Commissioner’s Office on whether to fine Sony.

"Clearly, as more and more companies move their products online – with more and more customers handing over their details – data protection is going to have to be a number one priority," Vaizey said. "The Information Commission has been given new powers to issue fines where necessary. I know the ICO has been in touch with Sony and clearly this is a huge issue, Sony getting hacked and people’s data being stolen."

Vaizey did not disclose any further details about what ICO would do to Sony, but did say that how Sony reimburses customers is up to them.

Source: Develop

Comments

Re: UK Culture Minister Warns Sony over Weak PSN Security

"Hey, that thing you're doing to fix your network? You should totally be doing it."

Re: UK Culture Minister Warns Sony over Weak PSN Security

What's the point of demanding they upgrade security and then fining them so that they have fewer finances available to do this? Until it's proven with tangible evidence that Sony was negligent with customer data, they were the victims of a crime. A little less of this enthusiasm for fining/suing companies and making money, and more towards catching the hackers, please, so it doesn't happen again?

Re: UK Culture Minister Warns Sony over Weak PSN Security

I hardly think Sony is struggling for cash.

They have a responsibility with the data that they hold, I believe the Data Protection act requires a decent level of protection. Still, I believe it's been mentioned that their security was lacking and under-funded, but I'd like to see the evidence of this.

Re: UK Culture Minister Warns Sony over Weak PSN Security

It doesn't matter if they're struggling for cash or not. If they've been genuinely negligent with customer data and its security to the extent that they've violated the DPA, fine and dandy, but if not, it aggravates me to see some bumbling politicians jump on the 'blame Sony regardless' bandwagon. The only real evidence we've seen of such negligence is second-hand reports - I'm waiting on the verdicts of these professional security experts that Sony has supposedly drafted in.

Re: UK Culture Minister Warns Sony over Weak PSN Security

^ XBL Only user.

Re: UK Culture Minister Warns Sony over Weak PSN Security

And that's exactly why PSN hasn't been back online already.

ZippyDSMleeI need one of my 70 games to play....mmmmmmmm05/24/2015 - 9:57am
MattsworknameSpent all night playing blood borne, now trapped in the Nightmare frontier and trying to reach the boss so I can maybe warp out again05/24/2015 - 9:21am
MattsworknameYeah, i got started and then made it through t the first few misions anthen blood borne05/23/2015 - 10:13pm
Goth_SkunkWhich one, Dragon Age?05/23/2015 - 8:20pm
Wonderkarpalso waiting patiently for Batman.05/23/2015 - 7:36pm
MattsworknameIn still trying ot beat that game the first time. Freaking game has so much side questing05/23/2015 - 7:34pm
Goth_SkunkPlaying a third and probably final playthrough of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Once that's done, I'll move on to AC: Unity, most likely, then get caught up on A-list games I have yet to play, like Murdered: Soul Suspect and Shadows of Mordor.05/23/2015 - 6:33pm
MattsworknameIf you own a vita and like monster hunter, but dont like the bs filler that goes with it. Try tokiden kiwmai05/23/2015 - 6:11pm
Matthew Wilsonaparently their servers got crushed, but I dont see the game selling well. Nintendo fans tend not to be fans of competitive fps05/23/2015 - 5:48pm
MattsworknameSPlatton looks intersting, Love the are style, gonna give the game a try with the upcoming test fire05/23/2015 - 4:39pm
PHX Corp@Technogeek, I'm returning for one more Run with the Global testfire05/23/2015 - 3:41pm
WonderkarpI'm bouncing all over the place but right now I'd say I'm playing Super Mario 64 trying to max out the stars. 2 worlds and 2 secret stars to go05/23/2015 - 1:12pm
TechnogeekReminder: Splatoon Global Testfire returns this afternoon/evening.05/23/2015 - 12:45pm
Andrew EisenA bit busy with my 30 Days of Netflix project but I did play through the first world of New Super Mario Bros. 2 at a sushi restaurant last night.05/23/2015 - 10:59am
MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm