Apple, Angry Birds Honored by Guinness World Records

May 13, 2011 -

Apple knows how to set records when it comes to sales, and now it has another honorary distinction: claiming a Guinness World Record alongside the game Angry Birds. Guinness named the iPhone 4 the fastest selling portable game system after selling 1.5 million units on launch day. iPhone 4 was released on June 24, 2010.

"The release of the iPhone has not just changed the mobile industry, but the video game world too,"Gaz Deaves, Guinness World Records' gaming editor, said in a statement to the LA times. "With the never-ending App Store selection and an intuitive device, Apple has created a gigantic new space for itself in the casual games genre that literally brings entertainment to users wherever they may be."

Guinness also named Apple's App Store is the most popular "application marketplace" with over 6.5 billion app downloads since its launch in July 2008. Interestingly, 61 apps are dedicated solely to the art form of flatulence. Guinness says that the App Store is the largest downloadable video game store in the world, offering 37,362 games as of September 2010.

Angry Birds was named the top paid-for App Store game in most countries, having sold more than 6.5 million downloads of the iOS version of the game since it was released in December 2009. Plants vs. Zombies on iOS has sold more than 300,000 paid downloads in its first nine days on sale in February 2010.

Tap Tap Revenge was named the most popular game series in "App Store history," with more than 15 million downloads since the first game in the series was released in July 2008

Source: LA Times

Posted in

Comments

Re: Apple, Angry Birds Honored by Guinness World Records

Yes, I love Angry Bird too. I guess Angry bird is the number 1 game almost for everyone because my whole family love this game.

ZippyDSMleehttp://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=35311/24/2014 - 9:46am
WonderkarpDay 4 of my Amiibos. Still Unopened. Now pegged too a wall. I just love the packaging too much11/24/2014 - 8:12am
PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm