Disney Wants to Cash in on 'Seal Team 6'

May 17, 2011 -

According to a Forbes report, Disney has applied for the trademark "Seal Team 6," the military unit responsible for the death of notorious terrorist Osama bin Laden. A day after the raid (which took place May 3 in Pakistan), Disney applied for a trio of patents with the U.S. Patent and Trademark office related to "entertainment and education services," toys, games, and Christmas stockings, ornaments and snow globes.. Yes, Christmas items.

Disney has not publicly commented on the outed patents.

This isn't the first time a company has tried to cash in on an odd catch phrase or popular term; Sony tried to patent the popular George W. Bush phrase "shock and awe" - referring to the blistering attack on Iraq during the opening of the Iraq War. The company, which later abandoned the patent, had planned to use it for a video game.

Source: Forbes

Comments

Re: Disney Wants to Cash in on 'Seal Team 6'

erm too soon?

Re: Disney Wants to Cash in on 'Seal Team 6'

I love how these souless corperations can trademark and patent things they had no hand in creating. Here's hopeing the next Seal Team Six mission is to go kick some Disney ass.

Re: Disney Wants to Cash in on 'Seal Team 6'

And yet, Disney has made a living doing just that.

Re: Disney Wants to Cash in on 'Seal Team 6'

Part of me has a feeling that they'll cave like the Six days in Falluja developers did.

Re: Disney Wants to Cash in on 'Seal Team 6'

Hard to say..

Since this was such a complete and one sided victory, I would wager not nearly as many people would complain.   No victims families here, or at least none that the American public will generally sympathize with.

Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm