New Xbox 360 Firmware Released

May 19, 2011 -

Microsoft has responded to reports that a new dashboard update was causing some older Xbox 360 systems to have a "disc-read error." The company said that the error was actually being caused by disc-reading algorithms, and not defects in Xbox 360 hardware.

The error “is tied to a change in the disc-reading algorithms in a recent software update,” a company spokesperson tells Develop. “It is not specific to older or newer versions of Xbox 360.”

The new firmware offers new anti-piracy measures and 1GB more space for disc-based content. Microsoft says that a "small number” of machines are not compatible with this firmware. In those cases, Microsoft is replacing those consoles with new ones.

Affected users will receive a new Xbox 360S and 12 months of Xbox Live Gold for free, the company said.

Meanwhile, Gamasutra reports that this new firmware is being released today via Xbox Live. Besides the new anti-piracy technology (which some claim can detect when users load a pirated disc into their system when connected to Xbox Live) and the new disc-format support, the update adds the ability to use PayPal for digital transactions.

Sources: Develop, Gamasutra

Comments

Re: New Xbox 360 Firmware Released

Hmm.  I don't know exactly the model of my XBox, but it was new just 18 months ago, and it's not a slim.  Actually, it's one of those special deals that came with Modern Warfare 2 and has a different case (Xmas gift).  I hope I'm not affected.  A new system would be nice, but I don't want to go through the hassle.

Re: New Xbox 360 Firmware Released

I hope mine still works, those new 360s are ugly as sin.

Re: New Xbox 360 Firmware Released

The disc-read errors in question are from a previous update, not this one.

Re: New Xbox 360 Firmware Released

That might explain the disc problem I had earlier today with Fable III.  I have an XBox 360S.  First time I've had the problem.  It complained the disc was dirty, but it was fresh out of a brand new case (I received it as a free bonus to signing up for Gold membership).

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 NW2K Software http://www.facebook.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

Poll