New Xbox 360 Firmware Released

May 19, 2011 -

Microsoft has responded to reports that a new dashboard update was causing some older Xbox 360 systems to have a "disc-read error." The company said that the error was actually being caused by disc-reading algorithms, and not defects in Xbox 360 hardware.

The error “is tied to a change in the disc-reading algorithms in a recent software update,” a company spokesperson tells Develop. “It is not specific to older or newer versions of Xbox 360.”

The new firmware offers new anti-piracy measures and 1GB more space for disc-based content. Microsoft says that a "small number” of machines are not compatible with this firmware. In those cases, Microsoft is replacing those consoles with new ones.

Affected users will receive a new Xbox 360S and 12 months of Xbox Live Gold for free, the company said.

Meanwhile, Gamasutra reports that this new firmware is being released today via Xbox Live. Besides the new anti-piracy technology (which some claim can detect when users load a pirated disc into their system when connected to Xbox Live) and the new disc-format support, the update adds the ability to use PayPal for digital transactions.

Sources: Develop, Gamasutra

Comments

Re: New Xbox 360 Firmware Released

Hmm.  I don't know exactly the model of my XBox, but it was new just 18 months ago, and it's not a slim.  Actually, it's one of those special deals that came with Modern Warfare 2 and has a different case (Xmas gift).  I hope I'm not affected.  A new system would be nice, but I don't want to go through the hassle.

Re: New Xbox 360 Firmware Released

I hope mine still works, those new 360s are ugly as sin.

Re: New Xbox 360 Firmware Released

The disc-read errors in question are from a previous update, not this one.

Re: New Xbox 360 Firmware Released

That might explain the disc problem I had earlier today with Fable III.  I have an XBox 360S.  First time I've had the problem.  It complained the disc was dirty, but it was fresh out of a brand new case (I received it as a free bonus to signing up for Gold membership).

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 NW2K Software http://www.facebook.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

Andrew EisenThe story you just linked to? The story you asked if anyone had seen? Yes, THAT obnoxiousness. I've heard it parroted for nearly two years now.11/27/2014 - 7:57pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: That shes an ex con man?11/27/2014 - 7:54pm
Andrew EisenI've heard the same obnoxious horse poo for years. It's nothing new.11/27/2014 - 7:45pm
ZippyDSMleeAlso anyone see this? http://guardianlv.com/2014/11/anita-sarkeesian-unmasked-feminist-icon-or-con-artist/11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
ZippyDSMleeEvil within is a badly designed game.11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
Andrew EisenSure but you said "widens," hence my confusion. Looking into it, yep, there's a tweak to completely re-frame the image, adding more info at the top and bottom. You apparently need a fairly beefy rig to keep it running smooth when you do that though.11/27/2014 - 6:48pm
Matthew Wilsonthere is vertical fov, not just horizontal fov11/27/2014 - 6:38pm
Andrew EisenWell, you can widen it to 3:1 or even 10:1 but I don't know why you'd want to. From what I understand it's the missing visual info at the top and bottom that some object to, not that there isn't enough on either side.11/27/2014 - 6:36pm
Matthew WilsonI think it widenss the fov, so you get to see more.11/27/2014 - 6:31pm
Andrew EisenI don't see how as doing so would not add any visual information to the top or bottom of the screen.11/27/2014 - 6:04pm
Matthew Wilsonfrom what I read, getting rid of the black bars and stretching it out made for a better play experience.11/27/2014 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenFrom what I hear, there's a ton of "look up and shoot at the guys above you" stuff in the game that the wider frame doesn't accommodate such actions well.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Andrew EisenHaving a game run in scope is not necessarily a bad thing but like any aspect ratio, you have to compose your shots correctly.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Evil Within was pretty bad and to make it worse the way the screen size made it hard for you to see even on a big screen it really hurt the game. Being Artistic is great but when you focus on art rather than what sells you run the risk of that happen11/27/2014 - 5:33pm
Matthew WilsonI kinda hope this is not true. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/nintendo_might_not_be_making_more_gamecube_controller_adapters_at_the_moment11/27/2014 - 1:34pm
Matthew WilsonI saw that. I wish people would stop preording, but sadly that will never happen.11/27/2014 - 1:26pm
Papa MidnightUbisoft has cancelled the Season Pass for Assassin's Creed: Unity (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2ni2ac/ubisoft_cancel_season_pass_for_ac_unity/)11/27/2014 - 1:08pm
NeenekoBut now I can use the christmas discount justification too,11/27/2014 - 11:46am
NeenekoI am also sorely temped by Civ:BE, mostly because I have a demo coming up and I know my productivity will tank.11/27/2014 - 11:45am
MaskedPixelanteThe Evil Within is only a month old, right? And it's already 66% off...11/27/2014 - 10:29am