UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

May 20, 2011 -

An Early Day Motion tabled by UK Labour MP Keith Vaz, an outspoken critic of video games, has managed to garner 11 signatures. The Early Day Motion calls for better control of video game sales to customers under the age of 18, and encourages parents to limit the screen time of children. Eight signatures are from Labour MPs, with one from the Liberal Democrats, one from the Conservatives and another from the DUP. The petition was tabled last Friday, May 13th.

Develop points out that these signatories have basically agreed that video games are addictive, and that game playing should be combined with a variety of extra-curricular activities (preferably outdoors) to ensure that "children flourish." The motion also highlights the "Hungarian EU Presidency priority of protecting minors from harmful audiovisual media content in media legislation.”

Source: Develop

Comments

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

I work in the games retail industry in the UK and the problem is the parents. I always mention that games aren't suitable, we all do, but they always say it is okay or because their friends have it. I once went a week going into detail of how bad some games were and my boss told me to stop going to far.

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

"but they always say it is okay or because their friends have it..."

I´ve never understanded that logic, if you can name it like that. I really don´t care if a 8 years old is playing Mortal Kombat, but parents at least should think on a better reason than the one listed above.

And Keith Vaz is still idiot.

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

I'd take a "I'm sure my child knows from right and wrong" before I take that answer.

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

You told them what your supposed to. If they wanna continue to do it, you can't stop them. Not without being like JT or this a$$hole.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

>better control of video game sales to customers under the age of 18

It's already illegal, what more does he want? "Double Illegal" isn't a thing, Vaz!

/b

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

My guess is an outright ban.

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

On what? Games rated 18?

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

Why is there a picture of Ed Vaizey accompanying an article about Keith Vaz?

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

It is kinda misleading, my guess is that the picture is Ed Vaizey's reaction to the motion: "Saaay Whaaaat!?" (spoken in public school dialect)

Plus, it's a bit more photogenic than the picture of Vaz from the Develop article, it makes him look a bit like a toe.

Re: UK Labour MP Keith Vaz Continues Anti-Game Agenda

Nop, now they switched it to Keith Vaz :D

PHX Corphttp://www.polygon.com/2015/7/27/9050375/street-fighter-5-beta-offline-delayed Street Fighter 5 beta taken offline, now postponed indefinitely07/27/2015 - 9:51pm
Goth_Skunk@eZeek: Noooooooooo.... ;)07/27/2015 - 8:44pm
MechaTama31Re: Google+, wow. I never in a million years thought they would backpedal on that. I just resigned myself to not using commenting functions on any of their services.07/27/2015 - 6:21pm
E. Zachary KnightGoth, are you saying all women are fat. ;)07/27/2015 - 5:38pm
benohawkMake it more adorable and more gender neutral! Widescreen Dog and 16:9 their 16 kitten sidekicks07/27/2015 - 5:15pm
Goth_SkunkOr, if you prefer, Widescreen Woman.07/27/2015 - 4:12pm
Goth_SkunkWho will save us from this abominable practice?! Introducing WIDESCREEN MAN and his sidekick 16:9!07/27/2015 - 4:10pm
Andrew EisenInteresting coincidence. I tweeted about the evils of vertically oriented video just last night. https://twitter.com/AndrewEisen/status/62549836960397312007/27/2015 - 4:01pm
PHX Corphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ_I9-CkzDE The Great Atari Ransack (The Jimquisition) Warning Vertical video syndrome in one scene07/27/2015 - 3:40pm
MattsworknameBout time google07/27/2015 - 3:33pm
james_fudgeugh. TG man :)07/27/2015 - 1:15pm
MechaCrashGoogle drops Google+ requirements for YouTube and other services: http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/27/google-is-dropping-its-google-requirement-across-all-products-starting-with-youtube/07/27/2015 - 12:55pm
benohawkThat still isn't Steam pay royalties. At best it is Bethesda not being willing to relicense the music,07/27/2015 - 12:51pm
Infophile(cont'd) different service. This often happened with TV shows, where music was only licensed for broadcast, but not for DVD release. So for many older shows, they either have to relicense it or use different/no music for the DVD release.07/27/2015 - 12:36pm
Infophile@benohawk: It most likely comes down to the original licensing agreement for the music in it. Often those agreements only license it for the medium it first releases in, so it has to be re-licensed if it's rereleased in a different form or through a ...07/27/2015 - 12:35pm
benohawkWhy would steam be paying royalties on anything in quake?07/27/2015 - 12:01pm
black mantaI recommend using the KMQuake II patch which supports .ogg music files, then downloading the music from someplace, then dropping it in to a music folder into the \baseq2 directory.07/27/2015 - 10:32am
black mantaI got Quake 2 during the Steam Quakecon sale. Funny thing is, there's no music for it! Guess Steam didn't want to pay the royalty fees or something.07/27/2015 - 10:30am
black mantaLike EZK, I also have a backlog of games. Right now I'm playing Crysis 3 for the first time, and replaying Quake 2.07/27/2015 - 10:29am
E. Zachary KnightZippy, No. It is because I have a backlog of games a mile long and have not bought to many new games, which includes Mass Effect.07/27/2015 - 9:28am