Report: Credit Card Companies Holding Up PSN in Japan

May 23, 2011 -

While there was mention that the Japanese government was holding up the relaunch of PlayStation Network in the country, credit card companies are also in the mix, along with the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI). According to a new report from Asahi Shimbun daily (by way of Andriasang), both parties have specific demands of Sony before they will let the company get back to business in its home country.

According to the report, METI and credit card companies are demanding that Sony detail the protections it has put in place for credit card users. In Japan credit card companies are held liable for things such as fraud, so it makes sense that they demand extra security measures from Sony. In the United States the company has an insurance policy in place to provide protection from such problems.

The report also alleges that Sony has not been as cooperative - for what ever reason - with card companies in providing the information they have requested. That information includes names and credit card numbers. The Japan Consumer Credit Card Association has a policy on leaked credit card information that says it must be passed on to card companies so they can monitor activity.

Source: Andriasang

Posted in

Comments

Re: Report: Credit Card Companies Holding Up PSN in Japan

I almost expected that they wanted ti back up far sooner, but, well, since it's their customer's money and possiby livelihoods on the line then this isn't unreasonable.

MechaTama31Of course, that advice is only really useful if you are one of the harassers...02/01/2015 - 11:50am
prh99Maybe it's time to rethink your strategy if your enemy doesn't have to make stuff up.02/01/2015 - 5:01am
prh99Also if you don't like someone, harassment and scandals will only get them more attention. Zoe Quinn would probably not be as well known if not for various harassers.02/01/2015 - 5:00am
prh99Personally, I just clicked the three vertical dots the first YouTube recommended one, haven't seen one since. Too bad I can't get rid of Pewdiepie video recommendations that easily.02/01/2015 - 3:19am
prh99Just don't watch the videos, who cares what she does or doesn't do. If her audience likes it so be, if they think she's doing something she shouldn't they'll stop watching.02/01/2015 - 3:14am
Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm