Game Over: Chicago-Area Molester Gets 26 Years in Prison

May 26, 2011 -

A Wadsworth, Illinois man who used video games, an Xbox 360 and cash to entice (and ultimately)molest several teen boys has been sentenced to 26 years in prison, a fine and the stigma of having to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. Castration wasn't on the table. Twenty-year-old Joseph Wojdyla was sentenced by Judge George Bridges for sexually abusing two boys. Wojdyla committed unspecified sexual acts with a 13-year-old boy during a year-and-a-half period and a second 12-year-old boy. Wojdyla also took inappropriate photos of the two boys and saved them on his cellphone. Wojdyla was 17 when he committed the acts.

According to court testimony, Wojdyla gave the boys video games, an Xbox and cash. He lured the boys to his room where he let them play games, but would make them stop at times and perform sex acts or pose for photos. Wojdyla claimed he was sorry for what he did and knew that he needed to pay for his crimes. He manged to plea bargain his sentence down to a sentencing range of 14 to 40 years in prison. The judge did not have much sympathy for him anyway.

“I messed up their life and I have to pay for it,” Wojdyla tearfully said in court. “I wish I could undo what I have done. I feel remorse for what I have done and I am haunted by what I did.”

He pled guilty to predatory sexual assault of a child and criminal sexual assault. Despite his plea bargain and a tearful apology, the judge imposed a total of 26 years in prison in addition to $4,739 in fines. Wojdyla will also have to register as a sex offender for life after he is release from prison.

The parents of the victims read statements before the sentencing, talking about how their families  struggled and suffered since Wojdyla’s arrest in September 2009. The two boys are brothers.

The state had asked the court to deliver the maximum sentence of 40 years.

Source: Chicago Sun Times

Comments

Re: Game Over: Chicago-Area Molester Gets 26 Years in Prison

Take off the glasses, and the guy kinda looks like George Hotz. SUSPICIOUS.

_____________________________________________________________________________

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

http://grifsgamereviews.blogspot.com My video game review site.

Atlanta Video Games Examiner for examiner.com

Re: Game Over: Chicago-Area Molester Gets 26 Years in Prison

Hrm.

I wonder if he would have gotten such a harsh sentance if this was a hetrosexual case.  17 year old with a 13 and 12?  Charged as an adult?  Yeah he should get in trouble, but I suspect the sentance would have been a lot lighter (though the age gap would still be too large for the failed Romeo and Juliet law to have kicked in).

Though if it was a 2 and a half year period... did it start or end when he was 17?  If it ended, that means the two other boys were also in violation of the law.  If it started then that would explain the harsh sentance since then he would have been over 18 through part of it (though it would also mean the two other boys would have been over 13, which changes the rules).

WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am
prh99I am not a fan of QTEs. Toggle joystick to break away from an enemy is ok...01/24/2015 - 12:26am
Goth_Skunk@WonderKarp: *fistbump*01/24/2015 - 12:00am
ZippyDSMleeIts like they took the fiction from soemthing else and tried to impose it on the Turok IP 0-o01/23/2015 - 10:14pm
ZippyDSMleeuhg I mean they did not need the dumb story and needed more unreal crazy combat.01/23/2015 - 10:13pm
ZippyDSMleestyle gameplay not generic shooter stuff.01/23/2015 - 10:11pm