Apple Rolls Out Numbers at WWDC

June 6, 2011 -

While Microsoft was talking about Xbox 360 and Kinect at E3, Apple was rolling out some pretty impressive statistics at its WorldWide Developers' Conference (WWDC). During the keynote the company revealed that nearly 54 million Macs have been sold around the world and that Apple's share in the personal computer space has grown 28 percent year-on-year. Apple also claimed that its Game Center service now enjoy 50 million users, warning Microsoft that its gaming community is outpacing theirs rapidly.

"In just 9 months we have 50 million Game Center users," said Apple. "To put that into perspective Xbox Live has been around for about eight years and they have around 30 million users."

Apple says that 200 million iOS devices have been sold to date worldwide, with 25 million of those being iPad sales. We assume this figure includes iPod touch and iPod nano.

There were also a number of announcements including iOS 5, iCloud, the OS X Lion operating system and more. Sorry, no iPhone 5..

You can read all the details at C&VG.

Posted in

Comments

Re: Apple Rolls Out Numbers at WWDC

I don't know what the heck Game Center is, but knowing Apple, I'm comfortable speculating that it is nothing remotely comparable to what XBox Live is.

Poll

Will limiting Steam services to accounts that have spent at least $5 eliminate spammers?:

Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm
Andrew EisenGreat, but that STILL doesn't tell me what she said, why she was attacked (or what the attack was) or what "standard line" she's following. Details, man. Details!04/24/2015 - 3:25pm
Andrew EisenOr what the heck Nina White (someone else I've never heard of) is actually referring to.04/24/2015 - 3:24pm
Matthew Wilson@AE she is a game dev. she used to do stuff with hormanix and now works with https://outact.net/#!/?page_id=2 she will often engage and debate both side.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew Eisen...following.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew EisenYou mean focus on stopping the bad behavior of those who are doing it rather than condemning all the people that associate with them? Great. But I still don't know who Emma Clarkson is, what she said, why she was attacked or what "standard line" she's04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Matthew WilsonI think people are coming around to the idea that divide and conqueror might be a more effective method than scorched earth. scorched earth has been tried for 8 months with almost no progress, so its time try something new.04/24/2015 - 3:20pm
Andrew EisenCan you elaborate? I don't know who that is.04/24/2015 - 3:17pm
Matthew Wilsonas I understand just general difference of opinion. for example I have seen Emma Clarkson get attacked becouse she chooses to engage and debate, instead of just fallow the standard line.04/24/2015 - 3:13pm
Andrew Eisen'Cause if it's the latter, that kind of stuff should be shamed.04/24/2015 - 2:47pm
Andrew EisenAnd shaming women for being women or having an opinion or shaming specific women for exhibiting particularly repugnant attitudes or behaviors?04/24/2015 - 2:47pm
Andrew Eisen"Last few days" seems pretty specific. I honestly don't know what he's talking about. I hear that sentiment all the time but I've never actually seen an example of it.04/24/2015 - 2:46pm
Matthew Wilsonjust the general actions on both sides, but in particular those who are anti gg, but using the same tactics of harassment and shaming.04/24/2015 - 2:34pm