Cloud Storage, Beacons Coming to Xbox Live

June 7, 2011 -

Microsoft's Larry Hryb offers some new details on Microsoft's Cloud Storage solution for the Xbox 360 on his official blog. Coming "later this year," the cloud-based storage solution will allow Xbox Live members to store game saves and their Live profiles. From the blog post:

"Cloud Storage for Game Saves and LIVE Profile. Here at Xbox LIVE we listen to your feedback. We are making it easier for you to sign into your Xbox LIVE account from any console at any time to access your game saves and full profile, including items such as Microsoft Points to make purchases, Achievements and friends. Cloud storage will allow you to enjoy the same great Xbox LIVE gaming experience even when you’re not in your own living room by giving you the option to store your “game saves” securely in the Xbox LIVE cloud instead of on a portable memory unit or your console’s hard drive. Gone are the days of “gamertag recovery.” Now all you need to do is sign in, no matter where you are!"

Hryb does not say how much space each user will get in the cloud, but it's an interesting idea as long as it is secure.

Microsoft also announced plans to integrate its search engine Bing into Xbox Live and plans to bring YouTube into the service as well.

Other things coming later this year include a new dashboard that is cleaner and easier to navigate, improved and expanded Kinect voice support that allows for better control of menus in the Xbox Live dashboard, and a new Beacon system.

The only thing left worth going into detail about is the Beacon system; Beacons are an easy way to tell your Xbox LIVE and Facebook friends that you want to play a game on Xbox LIVE. Players set a Beacon to tell Xbox LIVE what you want to play. Then, Xbox LIVE lets you know when friends are playing or want to play the same game. With Beacons, no matter what you’re currently doing on Xbox LIVE your friends know that it’s ok to ask you to play your Beaconed games. For example, you could send out a Beacon to let your friends know you’re interested in playing Halo, while watching a movie on Netflix or listening to music.

Expect to hear more about all these new features all this week from E3.

Source: Major Nelson

Comments

Re: Cloud Storage, Beacons Coming to Xbox Live

I'm really sick of cloud this, cloud that… All it is is just another server-side service.

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm
Andrew EisenGhostbusters! My favorite movie.11/22/2014 - 10:21pm
Andrew EisenPredominately figurines or swag of all kinds?11/22/2014 - 8:37pm
Andrew EisenI bet there's a lovely comedy of errors surrounding that list's journey to the IGDA's page!11/22/2014 - 6:49pm