Wii U Dumps GameCube Controller & Game Support

June 8, 2011 -

Speaking to Kotaku earlier today at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime revealed that the Wii U will not support GameCube games. One of the selling points of the Wii was that you could continue to play your library of GameCube titles on the system - and you could even do it with a GameCube controller.

Sadly you'll have to dust off that old cube or have that old Wii around to play your favorite GameCube games. Nintendo didn't say why it was ditching backwards compatibility with the new system, but this should be the first hint that the hardware is probably going to change dramatically.

We will have more on changes to the system as it comes to light.

Source: Kotaku

Posted in

Comments

Re: Wii U Dumps GameCube Controller & Game Support

And reason and sanity..... this smells of the saturn or dream cast or worse....

---

Re: Wii U Dumps GameCube Controller & Game Support

i figured they'd ditch support for it too but I'm dissappointed in nintendo.

Even though they have, at times, been champions of backward support, why do they constantly make me feel burned when i invest in their games, hardware and peripherals? Why not make my past investments a value-add for the new stuff?

So now I'll end up throwing away great gamecube games I've held onto because they are, well, great. Have I played Eternal Darkness in the last 12 months? No, but I would like to play it again sometime in the future. same with the Twin Snakes remake. If the new console made old GC and Wii games look better, now we're talking about adding value to my previous investments - I know ps2 games look slightly better, if not blurrier, on the ps3 and the same with old xbox on xbox360, but I'm talking about actual graphical or framerate or even anti-aliasing, etc improvements without making an offical remake and I'm talking about nintendo, not stingy sony and ms.

maybe they'll offer gamecube games in their new online store so I can buy the GC greats again? not ideal but at least an option. But as it is, nintendo is doing very little to make me think I'm going to retire my Wii when the WiiU comes out. If the new system isn't going to make me want to do that, then my interest in WiiU will remain pretty low (or my Wii breaks).

it seems like ninty is in big trouble. I hope I am just reading the tea leaves wrong but most of this comes across to me as the stuff of desperation. Since reactions to the WiiU were mixed-to-meh, I could see them changing their plans drastically before long because i have a feeling, they are frantically guessing what to do next. I mean, I literally want to give nintendo my money and they are making me hesitate, that's messed up.

Re: Wii U Dumps GameCube Controller & Game Support

I didn't think it would. No system has ever managed backward-compatibility for more than a single generation, either portable or home consoles.

Re: Wii U Dumps GameCube Controller & Game Support

PS3 has, labeit limited and unsustained. Although I see your point that it has never been one fully, most likely because the opportunity to port and re-release a system's back catalogue is more attractive that the technical challenge of making the next system fully backwards-compatible.

Poll

Should ‘sexism’ factor into a video game’s rating?:

Andrew EisenNo but it is defaulting to a very low volume. Not muted though.11/20/2014 - 10:14pm
MaskedPixelanteIs anyone else experiencing this weird Youtube glitch where, no matter what you had the volume set at last time, it defaults to muted no matter what?11/20/2014 - 10:07pm
MechaTama31What was wrong with Remember Me? I liked that one... >.>11/20/2014 - 8:50pm
AvalongodI tend to see the violence and sexism issues as different. Historically we know that the violence issue is overblown. But sexism is real. Better representations of women in games WILL happen.11/20/2014 - 7:35pm
Andrew EisenAnd unless I completely missed it, there's nothing in there about "how Pokemon in general is sexist but you gotta look deep for it."11/20/2014 - 5:10pm
Andrew EisenSeriously, you're upset, irked and fearful over an opinion piece that suggests the Pokemon demo would be better with more options and a better-written female character? SERIOUSLY?!11/20/2014 - 5:07pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://gamasutra.com/blogs/PugetAlain/20141118/230420/Nearly_Ripped_off_to_death_by_a_publisher__Get_better_by_yourself_and_wait_for_justice_Maybe.php Topware screws over an indie studio because they can.11/20/2014 - 5:01pm
Andrew EisenAre you SURE you provided the right link?11/20/2014 - 4:59pm
prh99And yeah that sucks, especially when bonuses are tied to it, but that is more a problem with crappy publisher policies and scoring in general than any discussion on what may or may no be sexism in games.11/20/2014 - 4:59pm
prh99But no one is on their legislative high horse or on the litigation war path, for that matter. The biggest effect is that a reviewer might give it a lower score and drag down their meta critic ranking.11/20/2014 - 4:56pm
Wonderkarpyup11/20/2014 - 4:51pm
Andrew EisenOh for crying out loud. Wonderkarp, I apologize for how rude this question is but seriously, did you actually read that article?11/20/2014 - 4:47pm
Wonderkarpits a stigma. people in power hear this crap and start getting on their legislative high horse. but I feel like we've already paid too much attention too a demo.11/20/2014 - 4:46pm
Andrew EisenHarm gaming how?11/20/2014 - 4:35pm
Wonderkarpcause it gets parroted around and is used by people to harm gaming like Jack Thompsons did with Violence. http://www.themarysue.com/pokemon-oras-sexism/ here's the article.11/20/2014 - 4:28pm
Andrew EisenNo idea why such an opinion would upset or irk you so I'd be interested in reading it. Got a link?11/20/2014 - 4:13pm
Wonderkarplook deep for it....reaching much. those kinds of people are what urk me.11/20/2014 - 4:07pm
WonderkarpI got upset the other day when a known feminist blog wrote a large article on how the demo to Pokemon Omega Ruby was Sexist cause you couldnt play as a girl. It was a Demo....who cares? but they went off on how Pokemon in general is sexist but you gotta11/20/2014 - 4:06pm
Andrew EisenHere's the panel that Sarkeesian quote from earlier comes from. Amazing what the proper context does, isn't it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0qxtKz2vZw11/20/2014 - 3:32pm
NeenekoSomething to keep in mind, we tend to look at physics as 'hard', but math and physics are trivial compared to soc/psych (I have worked in both), but FEELS like it should be simplier.11/20/2014 - 3:17pm