Astonishing E3 Tales: Kotick Wanted Private Showing of Battlefield 3

June 9, 2011 -

It's kind of a funny story, though it might be more folklore than fact; Computer & Video Games has a report about a personal assistant to Activision CEO Bobby Kotick trying to get him in to see Battlefield 3 behind closed doors. As you can imagine, EA said no to the request.

According to the C&VG report (citing "a senior informant who witnessed the exchange first-hand") Bobby Kotick's personal assistant discussed the chances of a hands-on trial of the game with EA reps at the door of the publisher's private meeting room. The female assistant jumped to the front of the line on Wednesday morning to request a personal showing of the game for Kotick. After mulling it over inside the private meeting room, an EA representative declined the request, saying that "it would not be possible."

The PA put up a small fight in front of those waiting to get in and then left in a huff, according to the witness.

The exchange is interesting only because representatives from both EA and Activision have been taking cheap shots at each other in the press for weeks. After all, both companies see their respective first-person shooters as direct competition to the other. If this story is true it's a pretty over-the-top request on Kotick's part. After all, if you were EA why would you let your direct competition look at your game? C&VG claims to have confirmed the story with an EA rep on the show floor.

Battlefield 3 releases on Xbox 360, PS3, and PC October 25 in the North America and October 28 in Europe.

Source: C&VG

Comments

Re: Astonishing E3 Tales: Kotick Wanted Private Showing of ...

It does seem rather churlish of EA.  I for one find it just a bit heartwarming when I see game industry folk enjoying the competition's games at E3 and other events.  I'm sure a lot of it has to do with scoping out the competition, but I'd like to believe that these guys, somewhere deep down, really love games, and are enjoying the opportunity to try new ones just like everyone else.

That being said, sending your assistant to go line-jumping and arranging a private showing for you is not just like everyone else.  While I think EA could have been more gracious, Bobby also could have waited in line.

Re: Astonishing E3 Tales: Kotick Wanted Private Showing of ...

I'm sure if it was any other company and CEO, they would have likely allowed it, in a friendly rivalry and mutual respect sort of way ... but they simply have too much bad blood with Kotick and Activision. Just look at the Zampella \ West court case!

Re: Astonishing E3 Tales: Kotick Wanted Private Showing of ...

Probably so he'd know what his programmers can copy.

Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm