Steam Does Free-to-Play

June 14, 2011 -

Valve announced today that it is now offering Free-to-Play MMORPG's to its customers via Steam. The move follows a similar announcement earlier this week from rival digital distribution platform GamersGate. Games available for play immediately includes Spiral Knights, Forsaken Worlds, Champions Online: Free for All, Global Agenda: Free Agent, and Alliance of Valliant Arms (AVA). All of the titles will be supported by Steam's micro-transaction backend system that is available to Steamworks partners and used in Team Fortress 2.

"The introduction of Free to Play games is another example of the constant evolution of Steam," said Jason Holtman, director of business development at Valve. "Free to Play games offer new game genres and game experiences for customers, while offering developers and publishers new revenue opportunities and the ability to reach customers in areas of the world where the traditional packaged goods model is less popular than F2P."

Specific details on the F2P games of the day and their exclusive in-game content will be made available in the coming days. Expect new games to be added on a regular basis. You can check out the new sub-genre on Steam here.

Posted in

Comments

Re: Steam Does Free-to-Play

Keep it up Valve.

Re: Steam Does Free-to-Play

Cool, I like having most of my stuff handled through steam, also this will make it easy to find these.

Now i'll probably play Champions Online more, maybe i'll even buy a month to play my gold characters when i tried the game out awhile back.

Re: Steam Does Free-to-Play

A good move by Valve since I can now dl these games from just one sure insead of looking all over the net for the F2P games.

Poll

Will limiting Steam services to accounts that have spent at least $5 eliminate spammers?:

Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm
Andrew EisenGreat, but that STILL doesn't tell me what she said, why she was attacked (or what the attack was) or what "standard line" she's following. Details, man. Details!04/24/2015 - 3:25pm
Andrew EisenOr what the heck Nina White (someone else I've never heard of) is actually referring to.04/24/2015 - 3:24pm
Matthew Wilson@AE she is a game dev. she used to do stuff with hormanix and now works with https://outact.net/#!/?page_id=2 she will often engage and debate both side.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm