Steam Does Free-to-Play

June 14, 2011 -

Valve announced today that it is now offering Free-to-Play MMORPG's to its customers via Steam. The move follows a similar announcement earlier this week from rival digital distribution platform GamersGate. Games available for play immediately includes Spiral Knights, Forsaken Worlds, Champions Online: Free for All, Global Agenda: Free Agent, and Alliance of Valliant Arms (AVA). All of the titles will be supported by Steam's micro-transaction backend system that is available to Steamworks partners and used in Team Fortress 2.

"The introduction of Free to Play games is another example of the constant evolution of Steam," said Jason Holtman, director of business development at Valve. "Free to Play games offer new game genres and game experiences for customers, while offering developers and publishers new revenue opportunities and the ability to reach customers in areas of the world where the traditional packaged goods model is less popular than F2P."

Specific details on the F2P games of the day and their exclusive in-game content will be made available in the coming days. Expect new games to be added on a regular basis. You can check out the new sub-genre on Steam here.

Posted in

Comments

Re: Steam Does Free-to-Play

Keep it up Valve.

Re: Steam Does Free-to-Play

Cool, I like having most of my stuff handled through steam, also this will make it easy to find these.

Now i'll probably play Champions Online more, maybe i'll even buy a month to play my gold characters when i tried the game out awhile back.

Re: Steam Does Free-to-Play

A good move by Valve since I can now dl these games from just one sure insead of looking all over the net for the F2P games.

Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenIf that's true, maybe she's willing to lose her tax exempt status by merchandising. So? Also not a problem with her Kickstarter. And no, I don't have to be a rep of FemFreq to point out how nonsensical, irrelevant and untrue all this nonsense is.01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenShe doesn't say it's not her footage and she never said she'd record all her own footage. So this isn't a problem. I doubt she's said anything like "no women or non white people are critics of mine." Regardless, nothing to do with her Kickstarter.01/31/2015 - 6:41pm