Sega: The Era of Big UK Studios is Over

June 17, 2011 -

A Sega executive says that the era of big game studios in the United Kingdom is officially over. The British games industry will continue to survive, but no longer contains grand-scale development studios, says Sega production boss Gary Dunn. Dunn tells Develop that "it would take a brave soul to start up a 100-man studio at the moment, because the risk is so high."

Sega is opening a new micro-studio based in Solihull, who will work on smaller handheld and mobile games with a modest 15-person development team.

It is easy to see why Dunn is so pessimistic about the games industry's status in the UK; several large-scale development studios have either been shut down by their parent companies or have closed shop due financial reasons. Bizarre, Realtime Worlds, and Free Radical are just a few of the development studios that no longer exist.

“The thing is, in most of these cases the studios closing down are quite large,” Dunn said in a recent interview with Develop. "Bizarre Creations was a behemoth of a studio. We’re looking to be an agile, modern studio focusing on new platforms."

Dunn went on to say that the days of giant development teams are numbered and that the UK games industry is going to have a lot more smaller start-ups going forward. For now Dunn is right about that much; many of those displaced by layoffs, closures and a general air of bad luck have started their own companies in the region.

Source: Develop

Comments

Re: Sega: The Era of Big UK Studios is Over

I doubt that big teams are really going away, but companies that can not figure out how to grow up are going to run into real issues with deminishing returns with such large projects.   Studios that look to other less 'fun' tech companies and learn how they organize and maintain large groups however will probably continue to do well (hint: retention and moral are critical, big teams are impacted to a greater extent by high turnover then small ones)

Poll

Will Code Avarice's Paranautical Activity make its way back onto Steam?:

WymorenceYou forgot having to open Unity through Origin too. :p10/22/2014 - 4:37pm
MaskedPixelanteUnity will now be licensed out half finished, with remaining tools to be sold back to you for 10-15 dollars a piece.10/22/2014 - 3:23pm
E. Zachary KnightNot a big fan of this news, but Unity3D's CEO is stepping down and John Riccitiello steps up. http://gamasutra.com/view/news/228384/Helgason_steps_down_as_Unity_CEO_and_John_Riccitiello_steps_up.php10/22/2014 - 3:06pm
MaskedPixelanteIt's probably extremism.10/22/2014 - 12:07pm
Matthew Wilsonthat being said, they are more likely to blame religious extremists than games.10/22/2014 - 12:01pm
Matthew Wilsonlets just hope they dont try to blame video games.10/22/2014 - 12:00pm
MaskedPixelanteOh joy, Ottawa's on lockdown, this is going to be a fun couple of days...10/22/2014 - 11:56am
MaskedPixelanteAnyone have any good text replacement scripts? I want one that can censor out Breitbart links.10/22/2014 - 11:35am
james_fudgeMilo and I are not BFFs. I tried, man!10/22/2014 - 11:33am
ZippyDSMleequiknkold:you too eh? 0-o10/22/2014 - 10:23am
Michael ChandraI don't like bullying anymore than you do, and yes, I think you're petty. Not commenting on the sob part, because I don't know your mother and don't see why I'd insult her.10/22/2014 - 10:02am
quiknkoldif that makes me petty, then I guess I'm one petty sob10/22/2014 - 8:48am
quiknkoldwell I'm sorry Conster, Having my skull smashed in when I was 14 made me skeptical to apologies when it comes to Bullying regardless of the platform its given. I guess Bullies beat the sympathy out of me.10/22/2014 - 8:47am
ConsterOn an unrelated note, I'm missing a "heck if I know" option on the poll.10/22/2014 - 8:33am
ConsterIf someone offends a bunch of people on twitter, they should apologize on twitter, and not accepting said apology because it's "only" on twitter is petty.10/22/2014 - 8:22am
BillThe first link is 4 days old, I didn't see it until today.10/22/2014 - 8:19am
BillJust posting them for the record since they have become part of the GG narrative.10/22/2014 - 8:17am
Billhttp://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/10/21/Incredibly-GamerGate-is-winning-but-you-won-t-read-that-anywhere-in-the-terrified-liberal-media10/22/2014 - 8:14am
BillOh yeah, http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/10/17/Supporting-GamerGate-Does-Not-Make-You-a-Bully10/22/2014 - 8:14am
BillThere are now two pro GG articles on Breitbart today, one by James Fudge's favorite "quotes out of context" writer Milo. Amazingly Milo claims GG is winning.10/22/2014 - 8:13am