G4TV's Proving Ground on Hold in Wake of Co-Star's Death

June 21, 2011 -

G4TV announced last night that it has put its new show "Proving Ground" on hold after hearing the news that one of the show's co-hosts, Ryan Dunn had died in a car crash in Pennsylvania. The network also issued a statement offering its condolences to the friends and family of the former Jackass star.

"All of us at G4 are shocked and deeply saddened by the tragic news that Ryan Dunn has passed away," read a G4 statement. "Ryan's comedic wit and signature no-holds-barred approach made him an incredible talent and his work on G4's Proving Ground was flawless."

A spokeswoman for the network said separately that "the show is off the schedule as of today until we discuss next steps." The half-hour show with Dunn and co-host Jessica Chobot debuted on June 14. The idea of the show is for the duo to team up with experts to recreate stunts from films, TV and videogames to see how they might work in the real world. There's a good chance that the show will be canceled.

According to published reports, Dunn passed away in a car crash early Monday morning. While details of the crash have not been released, it appears that he lost control of his 2007 Porsche 911 GT3; it was found "off the road and in the woods" in West Goshen Township, Pennsylvania. Dunn and an unidentified passenger died as "a result of injuries sustained in the accident."

We offer our sincerest regrets and condolences to the friends and family of Dunn.

Source: Ace Showbiz

Posted in

Comments

Re: G4TV's Proving Ground on Hold in Wake of Co-Star's ...

Well, I haven't been a fan of the show in years, but nevertheless, this is tragic.

My sincerest condolences to Ryan's family and friends.

Re: G4TV's Proving Grounds on Hold in Wake of Co-Star's ...

SO this news is legit?

Rest in piece Mr Dunn, you were awesome.

Re: G4TV's Proving Grounds on Hold in Wake of Co-Star's ...

I heard about this yesterday.  While I wasn't a fan of Jackass or any of its related spin-offs (and untill recently I always used to get Dunn and Zach Galifianakis confused with each other), this was very sad.  I heard about Proving Ground and thought the concept was great; kind of like a Mythbusters for the gamer crowd.  Dunn's sudden death now makes me wonder about the future of the show, and I express my condolances to Jessica Chobot and the rest of the show's production crew.

Poll

How do you feel about microtransactions in $60 video games?:

MattsworknameAndrew: SOrry I didnt get back, i went to bed before I saw your post. The Producer is listed as Arbitor36508/27/2015 - 6:06pm
Andrew EisenNope.08/27/2015 - 4:17pm
ZippyDSMleeDid you guys cover Fatal Frame 5 being nintendo Eshop only?08/27/2015 - 3:55pm
Big Perm120 bucks for a tetanus shot. Thanks Obama08/27/2015 - 3:01pm
Andrew EisenMatthew - Of course they do. I wasn't suggesting otherwise. Hell, Quiet's already been cosplayed quite a bit.08/27/2015 - 1:25pm
Big PermThere's been some pretty good Kill La Kill cosplay08/27/2015 - 12:56pm
Matthew WilsonI saw someone cosplay as the main charector from kill la kill last year at pax, so people do it.....08/27/2015 - 12:55pm
Andrew EisenPerm - Well yeah, Kojima himself said something along the lines of "Cosplay this, I dare you! No, seriously. Please cosplay this!" I was just wondering if there was an in-universe explanation.08/27/2015 - 12:45pm
Andrew EisenCheck out last week's story on The State of Play book for an updated cover and a list of all the authors and their essay titles! http://gamepolitics.com/2015/08/21/state-play-looks-current-state-video-games08/27/2015 - 12:44pm
Big PermI figured it was because titties are awesome08/27/2015 - 12:37pm
Andrew EisenI'm still waiting to see if any reviews spill the beans on the story reasons behind Quiet's goofy getup in Metal Gear Solid 508/27/2015 - 12:33pm
ZippyDSMleeHave you seen what the Deva wrestlers wear? Now lets get all that Japan only DLC for DOA over here, and DOA Volly ball,ect let the whining commence!08/27/2015 - 12:18pm
Matthew Wilsonsuprisingly, there has not been the negative reaction I was expecting.08/27/2015 - 12:13pm
Andrew EisenWe should devote a segment to R. Mika's costume on the podcast. It'll be great!08/27/2015 - 11:40am
Andrew EisenMatt - So... who is the producer of the video you linked?08/27/2015 - 11:15am
ZippyDSMleeAnd its not as bad as rumble roses :P08/27/2015 - 11:14am
ZippyDSMleeE. Zachary Knight: I dunno wrestling is about spectacle nd bad costumes are part and parcel of it..08/27/2015 - 11:13am
Big PermThis costume is amazing. Praise it08/27/2015 - 10:59am
E. Zachary KnightOh wow. This costume is obnoxious. Why? The character and moves are cool but man that costume. Ugh. http://kotaku.com/r-mika-and-her-ridiculous-outfit-join-street-fighter-v-172692528208/27/2015 - 10:56am
Big PermHe leveled up08/27/2015 - 8:24am