Quake Celebrates 15 Year Anniversary

June 23, 2011 -

In addition to today being the 20th anniversary of Sega's Sonic series, June 23 marks the 15 year anniversary of Quake - a game that arguably changed the way games are made and the importance of 3D accelerated graphics. To celebrate, id Software owner Bethesda shared comments from id Software's John Carmack and Todd Hollenshead.

When asked to recall Quake, id Software president Todd Hollenshead offered this amusing anecdote: "One of my all time best game moments is still grabbing the rune at the end of the first episode and awakening the lava monster! I’m sure that level also inspired the USMC commercial with the Marine fighting the lava demon."

"I look back at Quake as the golden age of game modding, before the standards rose so high that it required almost a full time commitment to do something relevant," said Carmack. "I am very proud that many of today’s industry greats trace their start back to working with Quake."

Quake refined multiplayer gaming (Doom had a lot to do with establishing it as a favorite pastime), and inspired new modes, spawned hundreds of talented developers, and was the catalyst for larger than life franchises such as Team Fortress and - indirectly - Counter-Strike. It is one of the greatest games ever made.

Source: Destructoid

Comments

Re: Quake Celebrates 15 Year Anniversary

"I telefragged Shub-Niggurath and all I got was this stupid t-shirt."

Poll