Microsoft Shows Off Family Friendly Kinect Gaming to Lawmakers

June 24, 2011 -

Last night Microsoft hosted the second annual Capitol Hill Family Game Night, bringing its games and technology to the nation's capital where policymakers and their families learned more about Kinect, Xbox 360 and various games. The event was presented in cooperation with congressional hosts Rep. Sam Graves (R-Mo.), Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.), Rep. Jay Inslee (D-Wash.), Rep. Dave Reichert (R-Wash.), Rep. Tom Rooney (R-Fla.), Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) and Rep. Bobby Scott (D-Va.).

The event, which took place in the Rayburn House Office Building, and featured the controller-free Kinect for Xbox 360 and such games as the upcoming games Kinect: Disneyland Adventures and Dance Central 2. Picturing lawmakers shaking their stuff in front of a camera or flying through the sky like Peter Pan is kind of scary, but apparently all involved had fun.

"New technologies and online entertainment have enabled people around the world to interact with each other in new and exciting ways," Rep. Reichert said. "Capitol Hill Family Game Night is a great event that allows families, staffers and lawmakers to learn about these new developments from the talented teams that created them. I'm proud to represent such an innovative workforce in Congress and to help support this event."

Members of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington were also on hand to talk about their experience creating games for Xbox 360. These young people worked for several weeks with Microsoft mentors to create original video games using Kodu Game Lab.

"It's so important we provide our young people with real-world experiences that will help them build a great future," said Dan Rauzi, senior director of Technology Programs at Boys & Girls Clubs of America. "Through our partnership with Microsoft we are able to introduce our members to technology in a fun, meaningful way."

The Get Game Smart program also was a key element of Capitol Hill Family Game Night. The public education program brings together Microsoft and leading children's advocacy organizations to educate parents on the tools and resources available to set boundaries and encourage family dialogue on safer, healthier and more balanced approaches to digital media consumption, including video games.

Comments

Re: Microsoft Shows Off Family Friendly Kinect Gaming to ...

FIST BUMP!