Team Fortress 2 Goes Free To Play

June 24, 2011 -

Valve Software's popular online team-based shooter Team Fortress 2 is going free to play - a first for a Valve Software title. Valve plans to support the title on virtual items.. like hats. All current owners of the PC game will automatically become premium account holders. Premium members get access to rare and cosmetic items through random item drops, the ability to store more items in your backpack, and more powerful trading and crafting abilities

The gameplay experience (beyond the extra baubles TF2 premium account holders get) will be the same for everyone. Gamers who purchase any item from Team Fortress 2's digital storefront (Mann Co. Store) will also be granted premium account privileges. Players spend real money to buy virtual items such as weapons for various character classes, and a wide variety of hats. Those who bought Team Fortress 2 will also receive a "Proof of Purchase hat" for any character.

You can learn more about the changes here.

Source: Gamasutra

Comments

Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free To Play

Ninja'd it in the shoutbox.

----------

Living in Canada can be a very good thing, you know. We enjoy the universal healthcare and gun-free environment of an European country while getting all of our games released at the same time as in the US.

Living in Canada is awesome. We enjoy the universal healthcare and gun-free environment of a European country while getting all of our games released at the same time as the US.

Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free To Play

All of you newbies join the Legion of Ponies!

I look forward to teaching you about the magic of friendship while blowing you into comically bloody chunks.

Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free To Play

Awesome, I just got my new desktop that can actually play TF2.

-Austin from Oregon

Feel free to check out my blog.

Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free To Play

Seems Valve has been bitten by the micro-transaction bug.

Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free To Play

They had the cash shop for a while now, I'm just surprised it took them this long to be free to play.

Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free To Play

Well, they've had the cash shop in the game for ages now, so the only thing this changes is that you don't have to buy the game. But I guess you get a neat hat if you do.
---
I'm not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I'm not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don't know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

---

Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free To Play

It's a smart move regardless. Get people downloading steam for one of the funnest online games out there, get them looking around at other content, and they're likely to spend some money.

Jessy Hart@E. Zachary Knight Is that show called Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures?09/30/2014 - 3:34pm
IanCWin 8 isn't bad, it just can't decide whether to be a desktop OS or a tablet OS.09/30/2014 - 2:40pm
IanCI think its a way of getting round giving it free to Win 8 users...09/30/2014 - 2:39pm
MaskedPixelanteWindows alternates between bad and good versions. XP was good, Vista sucked, 7 was good, 8 sucked, therefore 10 will suck, QED.09/30/2014 - 2:18pm
E. Zachary KnightPerhaps they are calling it "10" because on a scale of 1-10 of how awesome it is, it is a clear 10.09/30/2014 - 2:06pm
E. Zachary KnightTo be fair. Microsoft has had a bit of a numbering issue lately. What with going from XBox 360 to XBox One.09/30/2014 - 2:06pm
NeenekoI remember the pac man show from the 80s, but I was more picturing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWL6j0SvqV0 which is probably more source accurate then Tetris will be...09/30/2014 - 1:42pm
Andrew EisenThat is so dumb. That would be like Sony saying, "Hey guys! The next Playstation is going to be so awesome, so far beyond what the PS4 can do that we're going to call it the Playstation 6!"09/30/2014 - 1:42pm
Matthew WilsonMicrosoft reveals windows 10 http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/09/the-next-version-of-windows-will-be-windows-10/09/30/2014 - 1:26pm
E. Zachary KnightThere is actually a Pacman tv show and it isn't bad. My kids like it.09/30/2014 - 12:53pm
NeenekoTetris.. the movie? It is sad when a joke becomes real. Next up pacman and minesweeper!09/30/2014 - 12:42pm
Andrew EisenIt remixes existing content into different scenarios, yes.09/30/2014 - 12:34pm
ZippyDSMleeIn't the adventure map just regurtiated content in diffrent sqaures?09/30/2014 - 12:24pm
MaskedPixelanteThe phasing out of the iPad 2 begins. Pokemon TCG Online REQUIRES an iPad with a retina display to run.09/30/2014 - 12:05pm
Andrew EisenIf you can't get enough of Hyrule Warriors' gameplay, yeah, it's looking like a pretty good deal.09/30/2014 - 12:03pm
E. Zachary KnightSo a Tetris movie is happening. Here is the link. Reads like a joke: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/09/30/tetris-movie/09/30/2014 - 11:47am
E. Zachary KnightSo is it worth getting the Season Pass?09/30/2014 - 11:45am
Andrew EisenWow. The Hyrule Warriors DLC is more extensive than I thought. The new scenario in the first pack is a full five levels and the new Adventure Map is a whole new map, all 128 squares. Yowza!09/30/2014 - 11:08am
Andrew EisenI'm most pleased that the Quick Start Menu will now launch when the Wii U is powered on from the TV Gamepad TV Remote. I felt that was a huge oversight and I'm glad it's been corrected.09/30/2014 - 11:06am
MaskedPixelanteHey look, Nintendo figured out folders on the Wii U. I mean, yeah, they figured out folders on the 3DS several years ago, but these are BETTER! These... uhh... actually display the full folder name on the home screen instead of just the first letter...09/30/2014 - 9:19am