EA CEO on SCOTUS Decision: 'Everybody Wins'

June 27, 2011 -

Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello tells IndustryGamers that today's decision from the Supreme Court on California's violent videogame law is a win for everyone. Last year Riccitiello expressed concern that publishers would be forced to ship different versions of the same title if new rules were implemented in California and other states. He feared state level bureaucracies that define what’s marketable in each state. Today's ruling makes that less likely to happen.

"Everybody wins on this decision – the Court has affirmed the Constitutional rights of game developers; adults keep the right to decide what’s appropriate in their houses; and store owners can sell games without fear of criminal prosecution," Riccitiello told IndustryGamers in a statement today.

"Throughout American history, every new creative medium has to fight to establish its rights. Like books and film, videogames have had to face down censors and stand up for creative freedom."

"This was a long, hard, expensive fight, but it pulled together the developers, publishers and fans into a powerful political coalition," he added. "There will be other censors, other challenges. But now we’ve got an army in the field to stand up for the rights of game developers and players."

Source: IndustryGamers

Comments

Re: EA CEO on SCOTUS Decision: 'Everybody Wins'

everyone wins....except yee lol

Re: EA CEO on SCOTUS Decision: 'Everybody Wins'

In the words of everyone's favorite russian "Waaah, WWWAAHHHHH, CRY SOME MORE!!!!"

Matthew Wilsonhttp://reason.com/archives/2015/04/09/the-dmca-chill-factor this is why the dmca should be changed or gotten rid off.04/26/2015 - 6:41pm
PHX Corphttp://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/04/assassins-creed-chronicles-china-review/ anyone seen this04/26/2015 - 4:19pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.destructoid.com/director-del-toro-says-silent-hi… Can not say I am surprised sadly. I feel bad for del Toro because every time he tries to do a video game project it falls apart.04/26/2015 - 1:42pm
Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm