ESA Reaction Statement to Brown v. EMA Ruling

June 27, 2011 -

The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) issued a statement welcoming the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling in Brown v. EMA this morning, calling it a "landmark ruling" that protects retailers, videogame developers, and publishers.

"This is a historic and complete win for the First Amendment and the creative freedom of artists and storytellers everywhere. Today, the Supreme Court affirmed what we have always known – that free speech protections apply every bit as much to video games as they do to other forms of creative expression like books, movies and music," said Michael D. Gallagher, president and CEO of the ESA. "The Court declared forcefully that content-based restrictions on games are unconstitutional; and that parents, not government bureaucrats, have the right to decide what is appropriate for their children."

"We are very gratified that our arguments – and those of over 180 other groups and individuals from across the ideological spectrum – were heard in this case," Gallagher continued. "The Court has now definitively held that legislative attempts to restrict video game content will be struck down. It is time for elected officials to stop wasting time and public funds seeking unconstitutional restrictions on video games. Instead, we invite them to join with us to raise awareness and use of the highly effective tools that already exist to help that parents choose games suitable for their children."

In closing the trade group congratulated its legal team, including Paul Smith of Jenner & Block for their oral arguments before the Court. They also praised Ken Doroshow, the ESA’s former general counsel for "spearheading our winning approach."

Posted in

Comments

Re: ESA Reaction Statement to Brown v. EMA Ruling

This is the best news I have heard all day. Thank goodness cooler heads prevailed and the First Amendment was upheld.

Re: ESA Reaction Statement to Brown v. EMA Ruling

To the ESA and Paul Smith, I salute you! We couldn't have done it without you!

Re: ESA Reaction Statement to Brown v. EMA Ruling

So...Does this mean all future anti game bills are DOA?

Re: ESA Reaction Statement to Brown v. EMA Ruling

Yes and no.

They'll still try, and they'll be in effect until challenged.

Re: ESA Reaction Statement to Brown v. EMA Ruling

Oh, they'll most certainly continue to try.

To use the most obvious example: Roe v. Wade. Decades on, and states are still passing law after law, even if some of them are declared unconstitutional, in the hopes that some of them stick.

Re: ESA Reaction Statement to Brown v. EMA Ruling

Chucking a cinderblock at sheet metal at this point.

Re: ESA Reaction Statement to Brown v. EMA Ruling

That's exactly the example I was thinking of as I penned my response.

Poll