Reporters Committee Applauds SCOTUS Ruling

June 28, 2011 -

The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press issued a statement praising the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling Monday that declared a California law restricting the sale or rental of violent video games to minors was an unconstitutional limit on freedom of speech.

"Time and again, from the early days of radio and television, to 10-cent comic books and now to video games, lawmakers have tried to limit speech for what they believe to be the public good. And each time, they have lost because the First Amendment will not tolerate such wholesale limitations on expression merely because someone has created a new mode of communication," said Reporters Committee Executive Director Lucy A. Dalglish.

"The majority decision ensures that violent content in any medium, including content produced by news outlets, will not come under the same censorship."

The Reporters Committee filed a "friend-of-the-court" amicus brief in support of the video gaming industry in Brown v. Entertainment Merchants Association. The group argued that the state of California’s 2005 law prohibiting the sale or rental of a "violent video game" to a minor was unconstitutionally overbroad in its restriction of expression.

The brief also noted that a "broad restriction of expression is an inappropriate means of addressing an overstated problem." Pointing out that “protests against violent speech often come after it appears in new media or methods of communication, such as videogames, comic books, theater, film, and music,” the Reporters Committee noted that over time, “the protests inevitably die down, with the alleged harms never having come to pass.”

The American Society of News Editors, the First Amendment Project, the National Press Photographers Association, the Radio-Television Digital News Association, the Society of Professional Journalists and the Student Press Law Center joined the Reporters Committee brief.

You can learn more about the group and its efforts at www.rcfp.org.

Posted in

Comments

Re: Reporters Committee Applauds SCOTUS Ruling

Damn that Elvis and his gyrating pelvis. We need to put a stop to his devil music. FOR THE KIDS of course!

(chuckle)

Computer / Console Games are the new Elvis and his gyrating pelvis.

Re: Reporters Committee Applauds SCOTUS Ruling

At one point or another someone will come with something to try and censor. What I find incredibly sad and at times disgusting is that these same people defended any previous attempts of censorship. People who grew in the 60's, 70's and even the 80's are crying foul on something they find "offensive" and yet they see their acts of the youth as "justified" or "innocent".

Re: Reporters Committee Applauds SCOTUS Ruling

With how technology is going ,the next big evil shoul;d be either 3D or holograms

Re: Reporters Committee Applauds SCOTUS Ruling

The new comics boosk, new rock music, new novels....

Poll

Who's responsible for crappy Netflix performance on Verizon?:

MaskedPixelanteIf by "distance themselves from Google Plus" you mean "forcing Google Plus integration in everything", then yes, they are distancing themselves from Google Plus.07/26/2014 - 12:20pm
MechaTama31I wish they would distance G+ from the Play Store, so I could leave reviews and comments again.07/26/2014 - 11:03am
Papa MidnightGoogle+ Integration is coming to Twitch!07/25/2014 - 8:41pm