Report: Consumer Game Spending Down in 2011

June 29, 2011 -

A new report by Newzoo, claims that consumer spending on games in the US by the end of this year will total $21.6 billion, slightly lower than spending in 2010. In 2012, Newzoo predicts slightly modest growth of the total US games market of 3 percent as online and mobile games continue to increase their share of the total market and console games spending stabilizes.

The results depicted in the infograph, are based on analysis of high-level data from the US National Gamers Surveys over the last three years. For the first time in 2011, mobile, online and download games will capture more than half of total consumer spending by Americans.

The 2011 Games Market Revenue Report also predicts strong growth in social gaming (+37 percent), mobile gaming (+37 percent) and digital distribution (+11 percent) in 2011. This, the report says, will not fully compensate the decrease in spending on console games (-20 percent) and boxed PC/Mac games (-7 percent). Newzoo predicts that spending on MMO games (+3 percent) and online casual game destinations (+4 percent) will show continued and steady growth.

The report focuses on six Western countries but also includes 2011 estimates for Brazil, Mexico, Russia and Spain. The report will be available for purchase as of July 5th.

To check out a handy dandy infograph, check out newzoo.com. Over the next couple of weeks, Newzoo promises to release similar data and infographs for other countries, including the UK, Germany, France, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Brazil, Mexico and Russia.

ZippyDSMleeShout box sttasahhppppp!!05/22/2015 - 10:47am