Netflix Launching in Latin America by Year's End

July 5, 2011 -

Netflix will be making its way to Latin America and the Caribbean later this year. All told the popular streaming movie and television service will be available in 43 countries by year's end. The news follows rumors and hints from Netflix about its future expansion plans. While many predicted that Netflix would break into the European market, the company decided to stay on this side of the planet and expand southward.

Netflix said its streaming entertainment services would launch in Mexico, Central America, South America and the Caribbean. Netflix did not give specifics on which countries in the Caribbean it would launch in first. Netflix in these regions will be available in English, Spanish and Portuguese languages. Much like its launch in Canada last year, Netflix will only offer streaming video in these new markets.

No word on when the company plans to launch its services in Europe. Analysts speculate that the company is leery of that market because there are already similar services offered there that they don't want to compete with. At the very least they see a tough market there, according to some speculation.

Source: VentureBeat

Comments

Re: Netflix Launching in Latin America by Year's End

That's nice, now launch on Android already.

Poll

Who's responsible for crappy Netflix performance on Verizon?:

Papa MidnightGoogle+ Integration is coming to Twitch!07/25/2014 - 8:41pm
Matthew WilsonI agree with that07/25/2014 - 10:45am
IanCWelp, twitch is going to suck now. Thanks google.07/25/2014 - 6:30am
Sleaker@MP - Looked up hitbox, thanks.07/24/2014 - 9:40pm
MaskedPixelanteIt's the golden age of Hitbox, I guess.07/24/2014 - 6:08pm
Matthew WilsonGoogle is better than MS or Amazon.07/24/2014 - 5:33pm
Andrew EisenNor I. From a content producer's perspective, almost every change Google implements makes the service more cumbersome to use. It's why I set up a Facebook fan page in the first place; it was becoming too difficult to connect with my viewers on YouTube.07/24/2014 - 4:50pm