Report: Microsoft Wants Samsung to Pay Fee for Each Android Phone

July 6, 2011 -

Reuters is reporting that Microsoft has "demanded" that Samsung pay $15 USD for every handset it makes that uses Google’s Android operating system. Reuters posits that Samsung will likely seek to reduce that price to $10 per handset in exchange for a better relationship with Microsoft and its windows mobile operating system. That is based on comments made by an "unnamed industry official" to the Japanese Maeil Business Newspaper.

Microsoft holds a number of patents related to Android, and is using them to help earn millions of dollars each year. In April 0f 2010 Microsoft reached a licensing deal with Taiwan's HTC Corp, under which it would receive royalty payments of $5 per handset. Since 2003, Microsoft has secured licensing agreements with more 700 companies.

Some see these licensing agreements as a way for Microsoft to meddle in the market by making Android-based handsets more expensive. This makes its own operating system, which is trying to gain a foothold in a market dominated by Android and iOS devices, more attractive to phone makers.

Source: Reuters by way of Venture Beat

Posted in

Comments

Re: Report: Microsoft Wants Samsung to Pay Fee for Each ...

"Microsoft claims it holds a number of patents related to Android, and is using them to help earn millions of dollars each year, but is unwilling to specifically point out which patents apply. In doing this, it casts serious doubt on any claims they make."

There, I fixed that for you.

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

Re: Report: Microsoft Wants Samsung to Pay Fee for Each ...

Microsoft DOES own patents used on Android OS. I find it hard to believe that you are not aware of this since this has been well documented in the past and there are countless articles about it on the web. The only company going the suicide route has been Motorola for reasons unknown. But I find it hard to believe that Microsoft is talking out of their ass when other large companies with big gun attorneys are simply accepting Microsoft claims. I'm not a fan of these tactics or Android for that matter but they must have their reasons.

ZippyDSMleeShout box sttasahhppppp!!05/22/2015 - 10:47am