Square Enix Sues Over Deus Ex: Human Revolution Theft, Leak

July 6, 2011 -

Square Enix is ticked off that its new Deus Ex game has been leaked and it is taking some individuals in Italy to task for it. The company has filed a lawsuit against unnamed Italian individuals who allegedly crashed an invite-only preview of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, then somehow managed to download the game and distribute it online.

According to the complaint, Square Enix held a limited preview of the game for select Italian press who could access the title through a secret, protected internet portal. Unnamed individuals managed to log into the restricted site using an unnamed Italian journalist's press access. Square Enix's complaint goes on to say that the individuals did all this without the permission or knowledge of the journalist, and logged in via an IP address not associated with his publication, GMC. The preview build of the game allegedly contains the first 10-12 hours. It was copied after it was stolen and distributed online via peer-to-peer file sharing sites.

Square Enix claims "direct, contributory, and vicarious copyright infringement." It claims that this action caused damages in excess of $5000, and is seeking a permanent injunction of copying and republishing against the defendants, as well as "actual and statutory damages, attorney's fees and costs."

Source: C&VG

Comments

Re: Square Enix Sues Over Deus Ex: Human Revolution Theft, ...

This is exactly the way copyright law is meant to be used. They are going after the people who stole and distributed their work. Hopefully they face the full force of the law.

Re: Square Enix Sues Over Deus Ex: Human Revolution Theft, ...

While I agree, there are some, if not many, who would hail the thieves as heroes. Which makes me sad.

_____________________________________________________________________________

"Power means nothing without honor and pride."

http://grifsgamereviews.blogspot.com My video game review site.

Atlanta Video Games Examiner for examiner.com

Re: Square Enix Sues Over Deus Ex: Human Revolution Theft, ...

I certainly won't, because all these stupid shits did is delay the game for people who actually intend to pay for it.

Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm