EA Closing 17 Online Game Servers

July 13, 2011 -

Electronic Arts announced today that it plans on shutting down around 17 online servers for various games - and some of these games are still pretty popular.

As of August 11, EA plans to shut down servers for Army of Two for PS3 and Xbox 360, the Army of Two Demo for Xbox 360, Battlefield 2142 Demo for PC, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat for Xbox 360, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat Demo for Xbox 360, Medal of Honor Airborne for PlayStation Portable, Medal of Honor Heroes 2 for PlayStation Portable and Wii, NASCAR 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 (North America), NCAA Basketball 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, NCAA Football 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, Need for Speed Most Wanted for PC and Xbox 360, Need for Speed Undercover for PlayStation Portable, SKATE for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 (PSP, PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii) and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 11 Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

On October 1, servers for Madden NFL 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and NHL 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 will be shut down. EA claims that these servers only represent 1 percent of peak game playing time and that it needs to shut them down to save on maintenance costs.

You can read more here.

Source: The Sixth Axis

Comments

Re: EA Closing 17 Online Game Servers

I don't understand. You don't need a dedicated server to run any multiplayer game. You need an SQL server for data persistence (that can be the stats/data server for all your games) and another server to actually run a game. When players connect, route them to a server that is not busy and fire up an instance of the game in question to host on it.

Considering that servers don't have to load any of the graphics it should load really fast and be ready to service the clients.

www.gamepolitics.com/2011/07/12/ea-buys-popcap-games

Oh, a money guy clicked a few things on a spreadsheet without actually asking a tech guy how servers actually work.

Re: EA Closing 17 Online Game Servers

This is something that needs to stop. Thankfully I don’t play any of these games, but I feel for those who do. EA, - please start standing by your products.

Re: EA Closing 17 Online Game Servers

Seeing EA controls The Old Republic I would be afraid of buying

Re: EA Closing 17 Online Game Servers

watch them also do this with any game streaming or digital service.

Re: EA Closing 17 Online Game Servers

EA, this is not how you do business. Shutting down servers for last year's games which are still being played by many more people than you claim are, is such a transparent tactic to force people to buy the next iteration of your games that are only marginally different than the last iteration. For shame! I'm glad I don't buy EA games anymore.

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

Re: EA Closing 17 Online Game Servers

Those games are hardly last year.  Most of those have sequels that have already been released and sports games are always a year off.  10 sports games means they came out in '09.  2012 sports games are coming out now, in 2011.

Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm