Nolan Bushnell Predicts Doom and Gloom for California

July 14, 2011 -

Atari founder and serial entrepreneur Nolan Bushnell says that he plans to disrupt education with a new startup aimed at teaching youngsters using technology and game-like educational programs. Speaking at this week’s GamesBeat 2011 conference, Bushnell was coy in revealing details on his new educational initiatives, but he did say that he would get his foot in the door when the state of California finally goes bankrupt in two years.

"What am I working on?” he said, speaking vaguely of his educational system. "I want to fix education in the world. As soon as I work on that, I am going to work on world hunger and then world peace."

Bushnell said the in the future all schools will end up using game metrics to teach children. Then he offered his dire prediction on California's future:

"The public school system with its bureaucracy and unions and bullshit are stuck," he said. "The pressure is building. There will be an earthquake. That will happen with the bankruptcy of California in two years. There is no chance California will fix itself with unfunded pensions and runaway public sector costs. It’s going to be like Greece. We don’t have the European Community to bail us out. It’s going to have to be the federal government, but California is a huge economy."

"Am I an ambulance chaser?” he continued. "No. I will take advantage of an opportunity, called predicting the future. You may think I’m crazy. But I’m the only one who was predicting the Nintendo Wii would beat Sony’s PlayStation 3."

Whatever you think of Bushnell's comments the game industry legend sure knows how to get people's attention.

Source: VentureBeat

Comments

Re: Nolan Bushnell Predicts Doom and Gloom for California

Nearly all the states have screwed up budgets and will face bankruptcy soon. Only three states have anything resembling balanced bugets.

That being said California is not going to be insolvent in two years. When it comes down to it our state government is going to do what it needs to do to remain solvent.

Re: Nolan Bushnell Predicts Doom and Gloom for California

You can't spend more than you take in, we are already some of the highest taxed in the nation. I guess that's what happens when all these "feel good laws" get passed.

Re: Nolan Bushnell Predicts Doom and Gloom for California

Just what "feel good laws" are you talking about that cost the state money? This has nothing to do with "feel good laws" this has to do with spending way more money than the state takes in. They are going to have cut back their pension system in a BIG way and reduce salaries in the public sector first of all, a lot of programs are going to have to get cut and they'll also have to look at ways to boost revenue. The spending side of the equation is what really needs to get under control though.

Re: Nolan Bushnell Predicts Doom and Gloom for California

And here I thought I was the only one who predicted that the Wii would beat the PS3 and the Xbox 360.

He's got a point, though. California is sinking fast, especially when it has nutjobs like Leland Yee chasing BS laws that aren't even enforceable on its payroll. Instead of trying to ban video games, maybe they should embrace them.

From what I hear, there's money to be made in them thar vidjagamez.

"And though we may pledge fanboy allegiances to different flags, deep down inside we all serve one master, one king. And his name... is GAMING! FOREVER MAY HE REIGN!"

Re: Nolan Bushnell Predicts Doom and Gloom for California

Oh, I'm not saying it's not foundering. Everything seems to be dying nowadays, CA not least of all (thanks Arnold).

Re: Nolan Bushnell Predicts Doom and Gloom for California

Well, everyone's predicting bankruptcy for the entirely country right now. However, it's not surprising considering every single one of Bushnell's companies has gone belly-up. His answer for everything: sell-out!

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenIf that's true, maybe she's willing to lose her tax exempt status by merchandising. So? Also not a problem with her Kickstarter. And no, I don't have to be a rep of FemFreq to point out how nonsensical, irrelevant and untrue all this nonsense is.01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenShe doesn't say it's not her footage and she never said she'd record all her own footage. So this isn't a problem. I doubt she's said anything like "no women or non white people are critics of mine." Regardless, nothing to do with her Kickstarter.01/31/2015 - 6:41pm
Wonderkarpvalet about parking info01/31/2015 - 6:41pm
Wonderkarpyour glenn beck to her republican party. you can refut all you want, but its not going to matter until femfreq comes out and disputes these claims because you are not a member of fem freq. you are a second party. I dont ask the man standing next to the01/31/2015 - 6:39pm
Wonderkarpis free gifts01/31/2015 - 6:39pm
WonderkarpListen and Believe is one of the slogans Femfreq touts on twitter. and Non profits are in danger of losing their tax exempt status by merchandising. Its a big nono. I worked at the MDA for a while and they do NOT sell merchandise. anything they do have01/31/2015 - 6:38pm