Domain Fight: Activision Wants Modernwarfare3.com

July 18, 2011 -

A new website not owned by Activision and - and at first glance dedicated to modern Warfare 3 - is causing a bit of ruckus. According to an Ars Technica report, the domain www.modernwarfare3.com began directing people to the official Battlefield 3 site, leading some to believe (including Activision) that the site might be owned by electronic Arts. The domain was registered in 2009 by Domains by Proxy - a company owned by Go Daddy, and the owners currently remain unknown. That hasn't stopped Activision from filing a domain name dispute with the National Arbitration Forum claiming that it has full rights to the domain for obvious reasons.

After garnering a bit of attention the web site offers the following commentary:

"Modern Warfare 3 is an copy and paste experience that looks exactly like Modern Warfare 2, retracing the conflicts of its predeccessor that will take you to major cities across the globe... Activision should spend more time developing their games instead of using massive advertising campaigns to promote an inferior product," the site claimed before going on to hype EA's upcoming competitor.

The site also offers a video (to the left) which proclaims that "Modern Warfare 3 is a joke."

Whoever owns this site hates Activision's flagship shooter title with a passion. It's doubtful that EA owns it, but if it does this little prank could backfire in a major way.

Source: Ars Technica

Comments

Re: Domain Fight: Activision Wants Modernwarfare3.com

While activision probably has a strong claim.. any time I see this type of conflict I remember just how corupt the domain name dispute system is.  Whoever does own it probably does not stand a chance.

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm
Andrew EisenConster - Sure, give me a few minutes.03/26/2015 - 3:05pm
Matthew Wilsonnot shocked, lets see how gencon reacts.03/26/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenAnd for those of you keeping track, Indiana's SB 101 was signed into law this morning by Gov. Pence.03/26/2015 - 10:58am
james_fudgeyeah!03/26/2015 - 9:17am