Steam Will Get Faster With DOTA 2

July 18, 2011 -

Valve Software announced that its digital distribution platform Steam is getting an upgrade to make it faster with smaller downloads and an overhauled content system. The first game to take advantage of the system's new features will be upcoming online fantasy strategy-RPG game, DOTA 2.

"The maximum aggregate bandwidth of the system will be greater than the current system; this will help us satisfy spikes in demand when there's a big release," Valve stated on its official web site. "We will also be able to send content from more places, to better serve people all around the globe."

Valve also claims that the new system will allow the company to add new features to Steam in the future such as download scheduling, bandwidth throttling, prioritizing downloads, and update downloads while playing a game.

Hopefully this new system will turn an 8 hour download into something less time consuming. Here's to hoping.

Source: GameSpy

Posted in

Comments

Re: Steam Will Get Faster With DOTA 2

I think it's strange that Steam doesn't try to take advantage of people who has bandwidth to spare, via for instance the use of the torrent technique. I would gladly accept some small privelegues/ benefits/ discounts to share my bandwidth. Like for example, being able to purchase games in $US. ;)

Re: Steam Will Get Faster With DOTA 2

They probably don't do it for reasons similar to why Netflix won't do that for movies.

- Left4Dead

- Left4Dead Why are zombies always eating brains? I want to see zombies that eat toes for a living. Undead-related pun intended.

Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm