The Perils of Advertising Google+ on Facebook

July 19, 2011 -

Sometimes when you get too bold the powers that be give you a slap across the face. The powers that be in this case are the folks at Facebook, who taught one developer who placed a series of Google+ ads on Facebook a serious lesson. App developer Michael Lee Johnson wanted more people to add him on Google+, so he decided to create an ad and put it on Facebook. The ad featured a headshot of the developer and text asking people to join his Google+ circles.

The ad reads: "If you’re lucky enough to have a Google+ account, add Michael Lee Johnson, Internet Geek, App Developer, Technological Virtuoso."

But what Johnson did not know was that his ad violated Facebook's terms of service. As a result Facebook deleted the pro-Google+ ad and then proceeded to delete the rest of his ad campaigns. Later the social network informed the young developer of the policy violation. Johnson lamented on Google+ about what had happened to him:

"I recently ran a Google+ advertisement on Facebook that got all of my campaigns suspended. – Great."

Right or wrong, Johnson's situation should serve as a cautionary tale for those that want to advertise non-Facebook services such as Google+ in an ad. It could get you kicked off Facebook.

Source: TechCrunch, image via.

Posted in

Comments

Re: The Perils of Advertising Google+ on Facebook

Right or wrong it tells me that I am happy not to be part of Facebook.

Re: The Perils of Advertising Google+ on Facebook

How is that post "lamented"?

Re: The Perils of Advertising Google+ on Facebook

It wasn't... It is just that the writer of the article has learned a new word and felt pressed to use it somewhere.

Same personality type that instantly shouts "WHINER" as soon as someone raises a question about a flaw in a product.

Re: The Perils of Advertising Google+ on Facebook

I guess we now know how seriously Facebook takes the threat of Google+.

Re: The Perils of Advertising Google+ on Facebook

Really? And nothing clicked in this guy's head that said "Hmmm... It MIGHT be a bad idea to run an ad for a direct competitor on facebook's own site."?

That's like running an ad for Gears of War 3 or Halo on Sony's website.

Idiot.

"And though we may pledge fanboy allegiances to different flags, deep down inside we all serve one master, one king. And his name... is GAMING! FOREVER MAY HE REIGN!"

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm