AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

July 29, 2011 -

Ars Technica has confirmed that AT&T will begin throttling the data speeds of its heaviest wireless users beginning October 1.

AT&T spokesperson Jackie Vettorino told Ars that data throttling for heavy users will begin on October 1, and will only apply to users who still pay for unlimited data (and not users who pay for the non-unlimited tiers). The company has also posted a statement about the change on its website:

"Starting October 1, smartphone customers with unlimited data plans may experience reduced speeds once their usage in a billing cycle reaches the level that puts them among the top 5 percent of heaviest data users. These customers can still use unlimited data and their speeds will be restored with the start of the next billing cycle. Before you are affected, we will provide multiple notices, including a grace period. This change will never impact the vast majority of our customers, and is designed to create a better service experience for all."

Verizon implemented a similar policy in February of this year.

Source: Ars Technica

Comments

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

I want to see proof of the congestion.

I have two college friends who work fairly high up in AT&T and when we all get together they claim there is no real congestion except for peak hours and only in the very largest cities and that minimal network upgrades to those towns could alleviate the problem.

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

It shows true corruption to break up Ma Bell and let her reform herself years later.

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

If you didn't see this coming, you're legally blind.

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

"Starting October 1, smartphone customers with unlimited data plans may experience reduced speeds...and is designed to create a better service for all." Um...I'm not getting it. How does screwing your highest paying customers make things better?

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

Well, I WOULD talk to my family about switching away, however, in my area it's either them or Comcast, either The Devil or The Super Devil.

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

LOL!  I know exactly what you mean.

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

This is...well it's good business, but really sh*tty treatment of your customers.

Sign up for an unlimited use plan, now with more limitations!

-Austin from Oregon

Feel free to check out my blog.

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

Great job AT&T.  Instead of actually fixing the problem, you punish your paying customers for using what you've designed.

And my friends wonder why I don't use a phone from any of the big named companies.

WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am
prh99I am not a fan of QTEs. Toggle joystick to break away from an enemy is ok...01/24/2015 - 12:26am
Goth_Skunk@WonderKarp: *fistbump*01/24/2015 - 12:00am
ZippyDSMleeIts like they took the fiction from soemthing else and tried to impose it on the Turok IP 0-o01/23/2015 - 10:14pm
ZippyDSMleeuhg I mean they did not need the dumb story and needed more unreal crazy combat.01/23/2015 - 10:13pm
ZippyDSMleestyle gameplay not generic shooter stuff.01/23/2015 - 10:11pm
ZippyDSMleeI loved what they were trying to go with in 3 but it was rather messed up and buggy. Evolution is a typical corridor shooter of the time. The newer Turok is half right they just needed the non-super realistic grim dark story and more crazy Unreal style ga01/23/2015 - 10:11pm