AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

July 29, 2011 -

Ars Technica has confirmed that AT&T will begin throttling the data speeds of its heaviest wireless users beginning October 1.

AT&T spokesperson Jackie Vettorino told Ars that data throttling for heavy users will begin on October 1, and will only apply to users who still pay for unlimited data (and not users who pay for the non-unlimited tiers). The company has also posted a statement about the change on its website:

"Starting October 1, smartphone customers with unlimited data plans may experience reduced speeds once their usage in a billing cycle reaches the level that puts them among the top 5 percent of heaviest data users. These customers can still use unlimited data and their speeds will be restored with the start of the next billing cycle. Before you are affected, we will provide multiple notices, including a grace period. This change will never impact the vast majority of our customers, and is designed to create a better service experience for all."

Verizon implemented a similar policy in February of this year.

Source: Ars Technica

Comments

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

I want to see proof of the congestion.

I have two college friends who work fairly high up in AT&T and when we all get together they claim there is no real congestion except for peak hours and only in the very largest cities and that minimal network upgrades to those towns could alleviate the problem.

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

It shows true corruption to break up Ma Bell and let her reform herself years later.

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

If you didn't see this coming, you're legally blind.

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

"Starting October 1, smartphone customers with unlimited data plans may experience reduced speeds...and is designed to create a better service for all." Um...I'm not getting it. How does screwing your highest paying customers make things better?

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

Well, I WOULD talk to my family about switching away, however, in my area it's either them or Comcast, either The Devil or The Super Devil.

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

LOL!  I know exactly what you mean.

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

This is...well it's good business, but really sh*tty treatment of your customers.

Sign up for an unlimited use plan, now with more limitations!

-Austin from Oregon

Feel free to check out my blog.

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

Great job AT&T.  Instead of actually fixing the problem, you punish your paying customers for using what you've designed.

And my friends wonder why I don't use a phone from any of the big named companies.

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm
Andrew EisenConster - Sure, give me a few minutes.03/26/2015 - 3:05pm
Matthew Wilsonnot shocked, lets see how gencon reacts.03/26/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenAnd for those of you keeping track, Indiana's SB 101 was signed into law this morning by Gov. Pence.03/26/2015 - 10:58am
james_fudgeyeah!03/26/2015 - 9:17am