AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

July 29, 2011 -

Ars Technica has confirmed that AT&T will begin throttling the data speeds of its heaviest wireless users beginning October 1.

AT&T spokesperson Jackie Vettorino told Ars that data throttling for heavy users will begin on October 1, and will only apply to users who still pay for unlimited data (and not users who pay for the non-unlimited tiers). The company has also posted a statement about the change on its website:

"Starting October 1, smartphone customers with unlimited data plans may experience reduced speeds once their usage in a billing cycle reaches the level that puts them among the top 5 percent of heaviest data users. These customers can still use unlimited data and their speeds will be restored with the start of the next billing cycle. Before you are affected, we will provide multiple notices, including a grace period. This change will never impact the vast majority of our customers, and is designed to create a better service experience for all."

Verizon implemented a similar policy in February of this year.

Source: Ars Technica

Comments

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

I want to see proof of the congestion.

I have two college friends who work fairly high up in AT&T and when we all get together they claim there is no real congestion except for peak hours and only in the very largest cities and that minimal network upgrades to those towns could alleviate the problem.

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

It shows true corruption to break up Ma Bell and let her reform herself years later.

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

If you didn't see this coming, you're legally blind.

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

"Starting October 1, smartphone customers with unlimited data plans may experience reduced speeds...and is designed to create a better service for all." Um...I'm not getting it. How does screwing your highest paying customers make things better?

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

Well, I WOULD talk to my family about switching away, however, in my area it's either them or Comcast, either The Devil or The Super Devil.

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

LOL!  I know exactly what you mean.

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

This is...well it's good business, but really sh*tty treatment of your customers.

Sign up for an unlimited use plan, now with more limitations!

-Austin from Oregon

Feel free to check out my blog.

Re: AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data users Oct. 1

Great job AT&T.  Instead of actually fixing the problem, you punish your paying customers for using what you've designed.

And my friends wonder why I don't use a phone from any of the big named companies.

quiknkoldI'm sure you are, Andrew10/21/2014 - 1:44pm
Andrew EisenNintendo announced the Link amiibo is compatible with Hyrule Warriors. No idea how Nintendo expects anyone to give a toss if it don't tell us what it does. Then again, maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly.10/21/2014 - 1:25pm
Neo_DrKefkaSo Gamergate compared me to leftist Saul Alnsky....ME off all the people10/21/2014 - 1:16pm
IanCWell.... quite.10/21/2014 - 1:10pm
Andrew EisenWell of course. Girls don't buy figurines and guys don't buy figurines of girls. And no, the girls that buy figurines and the guys that buy figurines of girls don't count. The money belongs on the table, thank you very much!10/21/2014 - 12:43pm
IanCI have 3 of the Disney Infinity figures even though i don't have the game (Rapunzel from Tangled, and Anna & Elsa from Frozen, purely because its the only way to get figures from those two films)10/21/2014 - 12:23pm
Andrew EisenGlad you said "Pokemon." That's the first time I've seen anyone use that abbreviation.10/21/2014 - 12:14pm
MaskedPixelanteGot my demo key for ORAS, hope I get some awesome Pokemon to bring over.10/21/2014 - 12:08pm
E. Zachary KnightNot owning a WiiU helps too.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
E. Zachary KnightI have avoided Skylanders and Disney Infinity so far, so I don't see how Amiibos will get me in their grasp.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
Andrew EisenYes, GamerGate has a lot of fair-weather friends.10/21/2014 - 11:25am
Neo_DrKefkaI'm disheartened we have a group of people in Gamergate such as The Ralph Retort that is using Gamergate to prop themselves up but they are acting just like those they are fighting against. Only gaming site coming out of gamergate that worthy is TechRaptr10/21/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenNot I. I'm not interested in desktop tchotchkes. Don't know what they do in Captain Toad (a game I'll actually be picking up) but I'm not impressed by what they do in Smash Bros.10/21/2014 - 11:10am
quiknkoldso in a change of subject to something much lighter, who here is getting the Amiibos? I have 4 preordered.10/21/2014 - 7:02am
TechnogeekFor a change of pace, here's a story about death threats aimed at games industry employees via Twitter that has nothing whatsoever to do with Gamergate: http://kotaku.com/indie-dev-threatens-gabe-newell-has-game-removed-from-164867886910/21/2014 - 4:38am
MechaCrashThey aren't being held accountable because *this is what GamerGate is really about.* Hatred and harassment under a thin veneer of concern for ethics; it's a rotten movement right down to the core. Related: http://tinyurl.com/o5mamgn10/21/2014 - 1:53am
james_fudgeodd why would they delete pro vita comments?10/21/2014 - 12:50am
Neo_DrKefkaI am a little disturbed that members of #GamerGate are supporting and not holding its same members accountable when they say remarks that are unacceptable!10/20/2014 - 11:39pm
Neo_DrKefkaSome #GamerGate people are defending @kingofpol many are however lashing out at him but if we held Sam Biddle accountable and Gawker so must we hold @kingofpol and #GamerGate10/20/2014 - 11:30pm
Neo_DrKefkaA big name in the Gamergate movement Kingofpol uses a offensive term about autistic people and in turn the entire GamerGate community lashes out at him. We do not need false leaders who think they can say anything https://twitter.com/Kingofpol10/20/2014 - 11:07pm