Foxconn's Rising Robotic Work Force

August 1, 2011 -

According to this VentureBeat report Taiwanese company Foxconn plans to eliminate some of its workforce with robotic workers. The company said that it will replace 1 million of its workers in China. In case you've forgotten Foxconn is the company that found itself under scrutiny when several of its employees committed suicide because of unacceptable working conditions. The company does contract work for several large technology companies including Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Hewlett Packard, and many more.

Terry Gou, founder and chairman of Foxconn, said his company will use the robots to do simple tasks such as spraying, welding and assembling work which is currently done by workers. He made the announcement at a workers dance party on Friday night, according to the report. This was probably not considered good news by attendees, as these robotic workers will cut into the labor pool. Currently, Foxconn uses around 10,000 robots. Next year it expects to have 300,000 and 1 million in three years.

The company has 1.2 million employees, and around 1 million of them work in the Chinese mainland.

Source: VentureBeat

Posted in

Comments

Re: Foxconn's Rising Robotic Work Force

Foxconn has 1.2 million employees, so they plan to replace 3 million workers with robots?

Matthew Wilsonhttp://espn.go.com/watchespn/…/id/2497649/Heroes-of-the-Dorm heroes of the storm is being broadcast live on espn 2 never thought a moba would get a time slot like this on tv.04/26/2015 - 9:30pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://reason.com/archives/2015/04/09/the-dmca-chill-factor this is why the dmca should be changed or gotten rid off.04/26/2015 - 6:41pm
PHX Corphttp://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/04/assassins-creed-chronicles-china-review/ anyone seen this04/26/2015 - 4:19pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.destructoid.com/director-del-toro-says-silent-hi… Can not say I am surprised sadly. I feel bad for del Toro because every time he tries to do a video game project it falls apart.04/26/2015 - 1:42pm
Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm