Sony, LulzSec Honored with Pwnies

August 5, 2011 -

At the annual Black Hat hacker convention that happened in Las Vegas this week Sony earned a dubious distinction of the security breach that took several of its services down for nearly two months. The awards are called "Pwnies" and - unless you are a hacker - you don’t want to be "honored" with on. Sony earned the "Most Epic Fail" award for the massive security breach that brought down the PlayStation Network and related services for nearly two months earlier this year. Sony had been nominated a whopping five times for the same award, making it the de facto winner no matter what. Obviously no one from Sony was there to accept the award. ,

Dai Zovi, one of the eight judges who picked the winners offered a legal disclaimer for all the Pwnie awards: "We want to make sure that for some of these categories, we're not condoning this type of behavior, but recognizing its significance. Because nothing works more awesome than giving everything your 110%, soaring on your dreams, and making your failing even more epic."

On a less nefarious note, the Pwnie award for best song went to Geohot, for The Light It Up Contest. Other "winners" included RSA, who picked up the "Lamest Vendor Response" award for the SecurID hack; a lifetime achievement award went to pipacs, who is perhaps best known for inventing address space layout randomization (ASLR); security researcher Tarjei Mandt won the "Best Privilege Escalation Bug," for discovering Windows kernel win32k user-mode callback vulnerabilities; Comex won the Pwnie for "Best Client-Side Bug" for an attack that was used to jailbreak iOS devices; Piotr Bania won the Pwnie for most innovative research for taking a document containing recommendations for improving Windows security and implementing them within the kernel drivers in Windows; and LulzSec was honored with the Pwnie for "Epic 0wnage" for "hacking everyone."

Source: Information Week

Comments

Re: Sony, LulzSec Honored with Pwnies

WWRDD?

What would Rainbow Dash do? <3

Re: Sony, LulzSec Honored with Pwnies

That I can get behind. I'm glad they took the time to straighten that out a little. I get that it's all for fun, I just hope it doesn't promote the behavior.

-Austin from Oregon

Feel free to check out my blog.

PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm