Dragons, QuakeCon, and Motherhood

August 9, 2011 -

Someone was extra excited about seeing Skyrim on the big screen - so much so that it sent her into labor - at QuakeCon. According to a Game Informer story, during Bethesda's 40-minute presentation of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim at QuakeCon, expectant mother Stevi suddenly started having labor pains, much to the surprise of her fiancé Chaz.

This all unfolded as - on stage - Bethesda's Todd Howard (director for Skyrim) showed off the Frost Dragon. This is apparently what started the whole thing. Surprisingly, the couple decided to stay for the entire Skyrim reveal, because Stevi thought she might simply be experiencing false labor.

Many of the commenters on the original Game Informer story were flabbergasted with the fact that the young couple stayed and didn't rush off to a hospital. But the young mother, even as she was in the hospital, took offense and wrote in to the site from her hospital bed:

"I saw the frost dragon and had a contraction, been consistent ever since. We are now at 15 minutes apart and the pain is getting worse," she wrote on Sunday. But she also explained, "The doctor said this could take 'several hours or days even.'"

Mind you, the couple would had had no problem giving birth right there on the floor of the event; their lives have been shaped and formed during the show in the past; last year Chaz proposed to Stevi on stage at the show and this year they planned on getting married there.

Expect their daughter - who will be named "Atari," to make an appearance next year at the show. We'll let the mother explain this one:

"The name Atari comes from the name Ataru which means 'to hit a target' and the word Atari is used when a prediction has come true or someone has won the lottery. Her first and middle name together mean 'To hit a target, from the lake'."

Source: Game Informer by way of MSNBC's In-Game blog

Comments

Re: Dragons, QuakeCon, and Motherhood

As a gamer who will be giving birth in about a month, I just have to laugh and shake my head at all the pearl-clutching going on in the comments to the Game Informer article. Apparently there are a lot of gamers who get their information about labor and childbirth from TV shows and movies. I'll most likely be spending my early labor at home, possibly playing video games to help take my mind off of the contractions!

Re: Dragons, QuakeCon, and Motherhood

Uh huh, I'm sure that's why they picked Atari. Heheh. Good for them.

-Austin from Oregon

Feel free to check out my blog.

Re: Dragons, QuakeCon, and Motherhood

Awww.

Best of luck to the three of them.

/b

Andrew EisenHow many people do you think will return their copy for a censored version of the game? My money is on zero.01/27/2015 - 12:47am
Goth_Skunk@Cheater: If I were an Australian consumer, there's no way I'd be returning it.01/26/2015 - 10:43pm
Cheater87Ooops http://stevivor.com/2015/01/ps4-copies-saints-row-iv-re-elected-undergoing-product-recall-australia/01/26/2015 - 10:13pm
Andrew EisenOkay, well I've passed the request along.01/26/2015 - 9:03pm
ZippyDSMleeI loath itunes..........01/26/2015 - 9:02pm
Goth_SkunkUNLESS you haven't downloaded the most 3 recent episodes. Then it cancels your subscription automatically.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Goth_Skunk@AE: No. iTunes instead just downloads it automatically, provided you've set it up to do so in your preferences.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Andrew EisenAnyone know if iTunes sends email notifications when there's a new episode of a podcast you're subscribed to?01/26/2015 - 8:30pm
ZippyDSMleeAck!! Sorry lack of spell checker means I more incoherent than ever :P, Sign up for email notification thing for the pod cast. Probly more trouble than its worth, I guess I will have to check the site more often ><01/26/2015 - 8:22pm
Andrew EisenWhat is a "sign u email thing"? We provide a direct download link to the show every week. The video version is on my YouTube channel. You can use our RSS feed to add it to a news reader. You can also subscribe to the show on iTunes.01/26/2015 - 6:48pm
ZippyDSMleeMmm you guys ever thought about doing a sign u email thing for the pod cast? If I can click a direct link to downlaod it to toss in all daily podcast listening I might listen to it more than randomly forgtting its on here 0-o01/26/2015 - 6:37pm
prh99Too much time listening to Faux News and Bill Mahr.01/26/2015 - 5:12pm
james_fudgeit's bad pr for the bus company01/26/2015 - 5:10pm
Andrew EisenI'm sure the ones who purchased the ads are a bit peeved but I find my sympathies lacking. I have to wonder why the bus line would buy such ads in the first place. Hard to imagine it doesn't have policies against that stuff.01/26/2015 - 5:07pm
Wonderkarpthats cute. I Like Ms Marvel(hate her powerset). Whomever is doing this? Good Job01/26/2015 - 4:49pm
E. Zachary KnightHahahahahahaha! http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane01/26/2015 - 4:24pm
WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm