Dragons, QuakeCon, and Motherhood

August 9, 2011 -

Someone was extra excited about seeing Skyrim on the big screen - so much so that it sent her into labor - at QuakeCon. According to a Game Informer story, during Bethesda's 40-minute presentation of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim at QuakeCon, expectant mother Stevi suddenly started having labor pains, much to the surprise of her fiancé Chaz.

This all unfolded as - on stage - Bethesda's Todd Howard (director for Skyrim) showed off the Frost Dragon. This is apparently what started the whole thing. Surprisingly, the couple decided to stay for the entire Skyrim reveal, because Stevi thought she might simply be experiencing false labor.

Many of the commenters on the original Game Informer story were flabbergasted with the fact that the young couple stayed and didn't rush off to a hospital. But the young mother, even as she was in the hospital, took offense and wrote in to the site from her hospital bed:

"I saw the frost dragon and had a contraction, been consistent ever since. We are now at 15 minutes apart and the pain is getting worse," she wrote on Sunday. But she also explained, "The doctor said this could take 'several hours or days even.'"

Mind you, the couple would had had no problem giving birth right there on the floor of the event; their lives have been shaped and formed during the show in the past; last year Chaz proposed to Stevi on stage at the show and this year they planned on getting married there.

Expect their daughter - who will be named "Atari," to make an appearance next year at the show. We'll let the mother explain this one:

"The name Atari comes from the name Ataru which means 'to hit a target' and the word Atari is used when a prediction has come true or someone has won the lottery. Her first and middle name together mean 'To hit a target, from the lake'."

Source: Game Informer by way of MSNBC's In-Game blog

Comments

Re: Dragons, QuakeCon, and Motherhood

As a gamer who will be giving birth in about a month, I just have to laugh and shake my head at all the pearl-clutching going on in the comments to the Game Informer article. Apparently there are a lot of gamers who get their information about labor and childbirth from TV shows and movies. I'll most likely be spending my early labor at home, possibly playing video games to help take my mind off of the contractions!

Re: Dragons, QuakeCon, and Motherhood

Uh huh, I'm sure that's why they picked Atari. Heheh. Good for them.

-Austin from Oregon

Feel free to check out my blog.

Re: Dragons, QuakeCon, and Motherhood

Awww.

Best of luck to the three of them.

/b

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm
Andrew EisenConster - Sure, give me a few minutes.03/26/2015 - 3:05pm
Matthew Wilsonnot shocked, lets see how gencon reacts.03/26/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenAnd for those of you keeping track, Indiana's SB 101 was signed into law this morning by Gov. Pence.03/26/2015 - 10:58am
james_fudgeyeah!03/26/2015 - 9:17am