Indie Rental Stores Promote 'Video Store Day'

August 18, 2011 -

Independent video rental stores across the U.S. and Canada are banding together for a common cause: to promote a Video Store Day Oct. 15. The goal of this special day is to show the public that there are still alternatives to rental kiosks like Redbox and from Blockbuster, and streaming entertainment services such as Netflix and Hulu. Clearly local video rental stores have taken a savage beating at the hands of those juggernauts. The promotion includes ads in various distributor newsletters to consumers as well as in-store signs, and special offers to customers like a free movie rental to visitors at participating video stores.

The idea for a day is to provide national recognition for the traditional mom and pop video store and is based on a similar effort by the independent music store scene launched a few years ago - according to Stacey Mooney, owner of Moondog Matinee in Flora, Indiana. Mooney said that online chatter among indie stores throughout the years seemed to indicated a groundswell of support for such a day, but has seen little momentum... until now.

"I basically took the reins and just ran with it," she said, adding that the online forum was moved to Facebook and YouTube. "Nobody was doing anything about it so I just started sending out letters."

Other stores involved in getting the word out include Video Quest in Joliet, Ill.; The Video Strip in Chicago; Video-n-Game Gallery in Elkhorn, Wis.; Double Features in Vineland, N.J.; King Tut Video in Kentucky; Eyesore Cinema in Ontario, Canada; and Orbit DVD/TV Eye Video Emporium in Ashville, N.C., among others.

Mooney also sent letters to distributors Ingram, VPD, Rentrak and the Entertainment Merchants Association, in addition to some entertainment studios, looking for support.

“Actually, it’s done really well,” she said. "It’s a day to remind customers that their local brick-and-mortar independent video stores are here to serve them, from finding catalog titles to repairing discs. It’s not a day to bash Netflix. It’s not a day to bash Redbox, Blockbuster or even Family Video. It’s a day to celebrate the art of movies,” Mooney added.

Ted Engen, founder of the Video Buyers Group, a consortium of more than 1,500 independent video stores, said he jumped at the chance to participate.

"I talked to a few guys and next thing I know this thing is spreading just like wildfire," Engen said.

Source: HMM

Comments

Re: Indie Rental Stores Promote 'Video Store Day'

And the big rental chains will do their best to outshout this effort.

Poll

Have you visited a video game arcade in the last year?:

james_fudgeThere aren't many left in America08/21/2014 - 1:50am
MechaTama31I sure have. Dorky's barcade in Tacoma, WA.08/20/2014 - 5:56pm
Matthew WilsonI have not been to a arcade in years. I know arcades are still big in japan.08/20/2014 - 5:38pm
Sleaker@AE - Ah no it's called GroundKontrol - I was just referring to it as a Bar-Arcade.08/20/2014 - 4:39pm
Andrew EisenStill looking for confirmation that High Moon Studios (dev behind the PS3/360 versions) isn't working on it.08/20/2014 - 4:38pm
ZenGotcha.08/20/2014 - 4:37pm
Andrew EisenI already updated the story with it!08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
Zenhttp://www.gonintendo.com/s/235574-treyarch-isn-t-working-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-for-wii-u-either08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
ZenLet me send the link for the Tweet as well...they state Treyarch is not working on it. Grabbing it now.08/20/2014 - 4:34pm
Andrew EisenWhere does it say that "NO dev is working on it"?08/20/2014 - 4:33pm
ZenHere's the link for my last comment: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/20/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-not-coming-to-wii-u08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
ZenWell, Call of Duty is skipping Wii U completely it seems...they updated that NO dev is working on it. Great way to just skip a market.08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
Andrew EisenYeah, Dave and Busters back in 2011 was the last time for me.08/20/2014 - 4:16pm
ZenWell, I tried lol. We just got a Dave and Busters on the beach but haven't been there yet...may go this weekend.08/20/2014 - 3:52pm
Andrew EisenIt's called The Bar-Arcade? Missed opportunity. I would have gone with Barcade.08/20/2014 - 3:25pm
SleakerThe Bar-Arcade however did have a lot of good pinball machines, they were however always taken as the place was packed..08/20/2014 - 1:17pm
Sleakerso I've been to an Arcade-Bar, not that great of a place has some okay machines, but generally over-packed. And then all the kid-friendly ones have is ticket-games nothing actually good unfortunately :(08/20/2014 - 1:14pm
Andrew EisenIf it has an area dedicated to arcade machines, I'd say it counts. Arcade machine in your house though, nope.08/20/2014 - 12:16pm
ZenDoes it count if you have actual arcade machines in your house?08/20/2014 - 12:01pm
E. Zachary KnightWith the current poll, I guess it all depends on how one defines "arcade". If Chuck E Cheese or similar multipurpose businesses count, then that is a yes for me.08/20/2014 - 11:59am