What's a Writer Do If He Can't Use 'Scrolls'?

August 19, 2011 -

Did you know Penny Arcade’s Jerry Holkins (Tycho) is writing the backstory to Mojang’s Scrolls?

Well, he is and he’s well aware of Bethesda’s trademark infringement claim.

“Bethesda is uncomfortable with how scrolly they’re getting over there with all the scroll scrolls.  Bethsoft has the Elder Scrolls, which are much, much older in the scroll department, and they believe that the age of these scrolls grants them primacy.

Notch, who may also be called Mr. Minecraft, challenged Bethesda to a Quake 3 Deathmatch as a means of resolving the issue, but no word has been forthcoming because this isn’t how we resolve legal disputes in this dimension even though it would be totally sweet.  I think this is how you should solve all problems.”

Indeed, but what if Notch loses and can’t use ‘Scrolls’ anymore?  Don’t worry; Holkins has a contingency plan.

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Contributing Editor Andrew Eisen

Comments

Re: What's a Writer Do If He Can't Use 'Scrolls'?

Personally, I think they should stir the pot even more by renaming it "Scroll Edge"

Re: What's a Writer Do If He Can't Use 'Scrolls'?

Nah, Langdrell's hit the point of huddling in the corner saying "make the bad man go away!"

It's funny, he was so happy to gun after people, but when his own tactics are used against him he cries foul.

Re: What's a Writer Do If He Can't Use 'Scrolls'?

I'm just waiting for the inevitable clusterf*ck between ZeniMax, Interplay, The Simpsons' Matt Groening and the band FallOut boy to battle over who owns the word 'Fallout'.

Re: What's a Writer Do If He Can't Use 'Scrolls'?

So when do we get to see the Rage lawsuit from the makers of Streets of Rage?

Zen aka Jeremy Powers
Editor and Host of the Zenspath Podcast (now on iTunes)
www.ZensPath.com
XBL: "PsychoticZen" PSN: "Zenspath"
Nintendo Network: "Psychoticzen", 3DS: "0860-3238-7260