OnLive Adds Parental Controls and More in Latest Update

August 24, 2011 -

Cloud-based games-on-demand service OnLive released an update today that adds a number of new features including parental controls, group voice chat, and Facebook achievement sharing. Parental Controls are probably the most important feature for the fledgling service, which wants to go toe-to-toe with Xbox 360, Wii and PS3. After all, most major consoles offer these kinds of safeguards for parents..

The new controls allow parents to manage how their children use OnLive by sharing their own accounts in a restricted mode. Once an account is set up with the controls, anyone who uses the game service with that account won’t be able to access mature-rated titles. They are also limited in who they can chat with, what games they can spectate, or what Brag Clips they can view. Account holders can enter a secret passcode to remove these restrictions.

The new addition to chat is a group chat function for friends, which allows them to talk no matter what they are doing within the service. A group chat can be launched with friends that will stay open from one game session to another. Instead of tracking down friends to play, you can now jump into voice chat as a group. You can use it with any feature such as browsing the market or playing a game.

Finally, Facebook sharing has been added to the service, allowing users to share achievements from games directly to Facebook.

Source: VentureBeat

Comments

Re: OnLive Adds Parental Controls and More in Latest Update

Yet somehow little Johnny 8 year old will be able to buy GTA4 without parental consent :3

prh99Maybe it's time to rethink your strategy if your enemy doesn't have to make stuff up.02/01/2015 - 5:01am
prh99Also if you don't like someone, harassment and scandals will only get them more attention. Zoe Quinn would probably not be as well known if not for various harassers.02/01/2015 - 5:00am
prh99Personally, I just clicked the three vertical dots the first YouTube recommended one, haven't seen one since. Too bad I can't get rid of Pewdiepie video recommendations that easily.02/01/2015 - 3:19am
prh99Just don't watch the videos, who cares what she does or doesn't do. If her audience likes it so be, if they think she's doing something she shouldn't they'll stop watching.02/01/2015 - 3:14am
Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm