Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

August 24, 2011 -

Customers, disgusted over Ubisoft's bait-and-switch relating to the DRM in the PC version of From Dust are authorizing Steam to give its customers refunds. The decision to give people back their money for the game came after the company flip-flopped on DRM inclusion in From Dust.

Earlier this month a company spokesperson claimed that the game would not contain any kind of DRM. Recently it was revealed upon the release that From Dust did in fact contain DRM in it. Fans, already sick of Ubisoft's "always-on" DRM scheme in other Ubisoft games were vocal in their discomfort with the company. Rock Paper Shotgun readers report that they have received emails from Steam support that say the following:

"If you don't want to wait for the patch or if you haven't played the game, per Ubisoft's request, we will issue refunds [for] this title."

It didn't help that the PC port of the XBLA title also had plenty of technical issues and some bugs that made playing the game a hassle..

Source: RPS by way of Joystiq.

Posted in

Comments

Re: Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

but WAIT!

didn't this same company just recently say their DRM wasn't only effective, but well adhered to by the fanbase of these games?!

hmmm complete turn around on 2 fronts here me thinks.

1. saying the DRM won't be there

2. saying the DRM was good and no one really cared about it (which is beyond an obvious lie)

Re: Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

Seems the treatment is worse than the illness.  Here they go actual lost sales, there more real then losses suffered from piracy.

Re: Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

I swore off all Ubisoft games a couple of years ago and every time I read about them I am glad I did.

They have done nothing over the years to redeem themselves in my eyes.

Re: Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

That makes two of us. I went as far as to get into the Festivus spirit and air grievances on the Steam forums. Of course in reality, it's probably meaningless in the long run but somebody had to say it: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1850437

----
Papa Midnight

Re: Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

I wonder if Ubi is ever going to consider factors like pointless delays, bad porting, and obnoxious DRM as factors for why their PC games don't do that well.

Nah, that'd imply that they're doing something wrong. Must be pirates!

Re: Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

Don't forget the old standby "The pc is a dying market"!

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm
Andrew EisenConster - Sure, give me a few minutes.03/26/2015 - 3:05pm
Matthew Wilsonnot shocked, lets see how gencon reacts.03/26/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenAnd for those of you keeping track, Indiana's SB 101 was signed into law this morning by Gov. Pence.03/26/2015 - 10:58am
james_fudgeyeah!03/26/2015 - 9:17am