Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

August 24, 2011 -

Customers, disgusted over Ubisoft's bait-and-switch relating to the DRM in the PC version of From Dust are authorizing Steam to give its customers refunds. The decision to give people back their money for the game came after the company flip-flopped on DRM inclusion in From Dust.

Earlier this month a company spokesperson claimed that the game would not contain any kind of DRM. Recently it was revealed upon the release that From Dust did in fact contain DRM in it. Fans, already sick of Ubisoft's "always-on" DRM scheme in other Ubisoft games were vocal in their discomfort with the company. Rock Paper Shotgun readers report that they have received emails from Steam support that say the following:

"If you don't want to wait for the patch or if you haven't played the game, per Ubisoft's request, we will issue refunds [for] this title."

It didn't help that the PC port of the XBLA title also had plenty of technical issues and some bugs that made playing the game a hassle..

Source: RPS by way of Joystiq.

Posted in

Comments

Re: Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

but WAIT!

didn't this same company just recently say their DRM wasn't only effective, but well adhered to by the fanbase of these games?!

hmmm complete turn around on 2 fronts here me thinks.

1. saying the DRM won't be there

2. saying the DRM was good and no one really cared about it (which is beyond an obvious lie)

Re: Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

Seems the treatment is worse than the illness.  Here they go actual lost sales, there more real then losses suffered from piracy.

Re: Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

I swore off all Ubisoft games a couple of years ago and every time I read about them I am glad I did.

They have done nothing over the years to redeem themselves in my eyes.

Re: Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

That makes two of us. I went as far as to get into the Festivus spirit and air grievances on the Steam forums. Of course in reality, it's probably meaningless in the long run but somebody had to say it: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1850437

----
Papa Midnight

Re: Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

I wonder if Ubi is ever going to consider factors like pointless delays, bad porting, and obnoxious DRM as factors for why their PC games don't do that well.

Nah, that'd imply that they're doing something wrong. Must be pirates!

Re: Steam Gives Refunds to From Dust Customers

Don't forget the old standby "The pc is a dying market"!

PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm
Andrew EisenGP Movie Night!08/31/2015 - 8:41pm
Big PermEveyone should be too busy with phantom pain to notice GP is down. Hail Vidya!08/31/2015 - 8:40pm
Goth_SkunkBut such a hangout *could* be a neat idea. It could be used, for example, for all us GPers to get together and watch the new FemFreq video, and then discuss amongst ourselves in real time what our thoughts are.08/31/2015 - 8:38pm