Newell: Microsoft Should Be More Like Sony

August 25, 2011 -

Valve co-founder Gabe Newell says that Microsoft needs to relax the terms and conditions of Xbox Live to allow other platforms onto Xbox Live. Newell made his comments related to the upcoming Counter-Strike: Global Offensive release, which features Steamworks integration. Newell said that Microsoft would do well to emulate Sony, whose decision to allow Steamworks support in the PlayStation 3 release of Portal 2 resulted in better experience on that platform.

"We certainly can deliver a lot of value to customers to the degree to which we have those capabilities," Newell told Eurogamer. "The PS3, obviously, we made a lot of progress with that. The PS3 customers of Portal 2 are going to start to see the benefits of that with DLC coming out in September. So we'd really like to be able to do that for Xbox customers as well."

"The main thing is having Microsoft get comfortable with it and let us do it," he continued. "Right now, there's a huge amount of updates and free content that we've been able to deliver to people who have The Orange Box that we haven't been able to deliver to the Xbox because of the restrictions that have been placed on us on Xbox Live.

"We'd love to see those relaxed. Hopefully that will help Microsoft see that's a good strategy for making customers happy, that the barbarians won't tear down the walls of Xbox and turn it into some chaotic wasteland."

Source: Eurogamer, Edge

Comments

Re: Newell: Microsoft Should Be More Like Sony

I'd be in full support of that.

Re: Newell: Microsoft Should Be More Like Sony

That better be the ONLY thing he thinks MS should be more like Sony at.

Anything else would be a massive step down, even for Microsoft.

Re: Newell: Microsoft Should Be More Like Sony

Fanboy much? It probably comes for your very low feelings of self worth.

Re: Newell: Microsoft Should Be More Like Sony

Except, oh I dunno, maybe, ELIMNATE SUBSCRIPTION FEES! Since XBL is the ONLY online service that charges!

Re: Newell: Microsoft Should Be More Like Sony

Why. I don't mind paying subscription fees for good quality. If they started talking about removing them I would be worried about the quality going down to sony's level and hell I'd rather pay more than have that happen.

Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm