FCC Restarts Merger Shot Clock on AT&T-T-Mobile

August 26, 2011 -

Today the Federal Communications Commission restarted its "shot clock" for the AT&T–T-Mobile merger review. The announcement follows AT&T’s fourth and allegedly final revision of the economic models it is using to make its case for the T-Mobile acquisition.

Free Press Research Director S. Derek Turner issued a short statement today with its thoughts on the latest move by the FCC:

"We’re glad the FCC won't be giving AT&T a fifth shot at manipulating its economic model. No matter how many tries AT&T gets, however, nothing can change the fact that the case for this merger is unraveling. Free Press and others have consistently demonstrated the substantial flaws in the prior models, and all the evidence shows AT&T does not need to take over T-Mobile to compete fairly in the wireless marketplace. If the Department of Justice and the FCC base their decisions about this merger solely on the evidence, we fully expect this disastrous anti-competitive and job-killing proposal will be swiftly rejected."

We will continue to follow this story as it develops.

Source: Free Press

Comments

Re: FCC Restarts Merger Shot Clock on AT&T-T-Mobile

I hope att doesn't get any bigger then it is. They suck at they they do on there own as it is.

Re: FCC Restarts Merger Shot Clock on AT&T-T-Mobile

I really don't want to see Ma Bell rebuild itself.

Re: FCC Restarts Merger Shot Clock on AT&T-T-Mobile

I'm not in the US, but i still hope it fails

Mergers are extremely rarely (if ever at all) in the publics benefit.

The UK's T-Mobile and Orange merger is proving to be a disaster in my experience, taking the worst points of both and discarding the best...

Re: FCC Restarts Merger Shot Clock on AT&T-T-Mobile

If anything the reason for a merger is to reduce competition.

Re: FCC Restarts Merger Shot Clock on AT&T-T-Mobile

what is retarded about this is that even if att doesn't;bye them varisin is going to try next or sprint and everyone will be oh derpaty derp OK go ahead sound's grate because its not TAt. Att is no better then the other 2 big cell phone perviters we just think they are because the press and others want us to.

---

am dyslexic and have a learning disablement from when i died as a baby and sustained brain damage do to lack of oxygen pleas pardon my bad spelling and grammar-

Re: FCC Restarts Merger Shot Clock on AT&T-T-Mobile

every corporation has it's dirty laundry, the main difference here, i think, is that since AT&T is the 'top dog' theirs' gets dragged into the open more often.  the other thought is that they have so much dirty laundry, they can't keep the closet shut.  my opinion is of the latter.

Re: FCC Restarts Merger Shot Clock on AT&T-T-Mobile

As a rule, it's generally a bad idea to tell the Internet that you really do have brain damage. It's like wearing a bloody-steak belt in a shark tank, only without as much chance to escape.

That said, Verizon and Sprint are probably less likely to buy T-Mobile, if only due to the thoroughly incompatible cellular tech that the companies use. Not that it would never be considered (iDEN is arguably closer to GSM than CDMA, but that didn't stop Sprint from buying Nextel), but the merger would at least have less short-term damage in such circumstances.

Poll