Borderlands, Modern Warfare 3 Supporting Steamworks

August 29, 2011 -

Valve Software announced today that Activision's next Call of Duty game will use Steamworks. On a related note, over the weekend at PAX in Seattle, Gearbox Software's Randy Pitchford revealed that the PC version of its role-playing game shooter, Borderlands, would add Steamworks support with a new update. The PC version of MW3 will be powered with Steamworks for both the digital and retail versions of the game. It will support offline play, auto-updating, achievements, and dedicated servers at launch. Naturally Steamworks adds a DRM layer as well. Pre-purchase reservations for Modern Warfare 3 are now available via Steam, which is something that Battlefield 3's creators will not be able to boast about.

Gearbox Software revealed that a patch for the PC version of Borderlands will be released on September 9. The patch adds support for Steamworks, cloud saving and will help Gearbox test experimental technology that it plans to include in future titles such as Borderlands 2. Basically the new technology will send data back to the developer such as what guns and environments are the most popular.

Sources: Destructoid, Blue's News

Comments

Re: Borderlands, Modern Warfare 3 Supporting Steamworks

Does the Steamworks thing mean we won't have to screw around with Gamespy for multiplayer in Borderlands anymore?

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm