OOPS! Walmart Xbox 360 Price Cut a 'Mistake'

August 29, 2011 -

A Walmart flyer showing the Xbox 360 4GB Kinect bundle with a price tag of $249 ($50 off its current price) was a typo, according to the retailer. The circular pegged that sale for the week of August 28. While Walmart claims the price cut was an error, the retailer said that it would honor the price anyway until Monday, September 5 - or while supplies last. It will not, however, accept rainchecks for the console at that price.

Last week Microsoft responded to the sale with the following statement:

"Walmart made an independent decision to implement this temporary price cut. We've made no announcements about price drops, and do not discuss our pricing plans in advance. Xbox is the number-one selling console in the U.S. for 13 of the past 14 months, and is showing record growth. With an incredible line-up of games and entertainment, we're expecting the biggest year in Xbox history as the best-selling console worldwide."

Some had speculated that the price cut was somehow in response to Sony cutting $50 off its PS3 console. It turns out that it was simply a printing error..

Source: Story and image via Joystiq

Posted in

Comments

Re: OOPS! Walmart Xbox 360 Price Cut a 'Mistake'

So was it a printing error in that they stated it as a price cut rather than a sale, or a printing error in listing it at all? I find the former easier to believe than the latter.

Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm