Bethesda and the Word 'The'

August 30, 2011 -

If you think that the cease and desist letter Bethesda sent Minecraft developer Mojang over plans to use the word "Scrolls" in its next game is ridiculous, then Andrew Eisen's latest video will make a lot of sense. After all, if one company can go after another for "Scrolls" then they can go after anyone for any other seemingly innocuous or common word. Take the word "the," for example...

You can check out Andrew's previous videos on his YouTube channel.

Comments

Re: Bethesda and the Word 'The'

Hey Andy,

This is your old buddy Clayton from Phoenix. Hit me up man. My contact information is on my website.. www.camsap.com

Talk to you later man. Love the videos man!!'

Clayton

Re: Bethesda and the Word 'The'

While I know this was intended to be humorous, and it was... I look forward to the day when the 'trademark the word 'the'' examples die the horrible death they deserve.  Constructing strawmen rarely lead anywhere useful... it is kinda like that other piece about the hacktivists poking that dog fighting game.. it gets you props within your own community, but outside kinda reinforces some rather douchy assumptions people have about gamers.

Re: Bethesda and the Word 'The'

You know, I've never actually seen anyone use the "trademark the word 'the'" scenario.  Doesn't surprise me that many apparently have though.  It's a pretty obvious joke.

Still, hopefully you're taking my video as the satire that I intended it to be and not as an actual strawman argument.

Andrew Eisen

Re: Bethesda and the Word 'The'

Then hows this: every indie developer takes the words, "Scrolls," "Oblivion," "Elder," and (why not) "The" and uses them in every combination of phrase to see who can come up with the best title. Then distribute a game for it!

Re: Bethesda and the Word 'The'

This would accomplish what exactly?

prh99Maybe it's time to rethink your strategy if your enemy doesn't have to make stuff up.02/01/2015 - 5:01am
prh99Also if you don't like someone, harassment and scandals will only get them more attention. Zoe Quinn would probably not be as well known if not for various harassers.02/01/2015 - 5:00am
prh99Personally, I just clicked the three vertical dots the first YouTube recommended one, haven't seen one since. Too bad I can't get rid of Pewdiepie video recommendations that easily.02/01/2015 - 3:19am
prh99Just don't watch the videos, who cares what she does or doesn't do. If her audience likes it so be, if they think she's doing something she shouldn't they'll stop watching.02/01/2015 - 3:14am
Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm