Wanted: Lubbock Thieves Steal $13k in Video Game Merchandise

August 30, 2011 -

Law enforcement in Lubbock, Texas are on a manhunt for three suspects that they claim have stolen more than $13,000 in video game hardware from local Wal-Mart stores. The suspects allegedly stole Nintendo DS and DSI handheld games from the two local Walmarts (one at 1911 Marsha Sharp Freeway and another at 6315 82nd St).

The suspects are described as a white or Hispanic male, a Hispanic male, and a white or Hispanic woman. They were last seen driving away from the scene in a "black SUV, possibly a Chevrolet Trailblazer or Jeep Cherokee."

How they could possibly steal that much merchandise without hijacking several trucks is beyond my comprehension (perhaps an inside job?), but police aren't revealing details of the crime at this time.

Naturally Lubbock police are looking for anyone with information about the crime to call the local Crime Line at 741-1000, submit tips online at www.lubbockpolice.com or text a tip to 274637 (CRIMES - for text, include the keyword “LBKTIPS” at the beginning of the message followed by a space). All tips remain anonymous.

Source: Lubbock Avalanche Journal

Posted in

Comments

Re: Wanted: Lubbock Thieves Steal $13k in Video Game Merchandise

This is kind of off topic, but still slightly related.

I was browsing through the video game listings on Craigslist last week and I cam across an add for 150 PS2 games. Someone was selling a bulk lot. They had a picture of the games all tossed out on a bed or sofa or something. They were all in yellow and white paper sleeves with round windows. Each had a little yellow or white rectangular sticker in the corner.

I used to work at EB Games and have seen how Gamestop stores their gutted games. This picture immediately reminded me of that and made me question the source of the games.

I tried looking for any police reports in the area of missing games from a GameStop but to no avail. Still makes me wonder.

Re: Wanted: Lubbock Thieves Steal $13k in Video Game Merchandise

yup, sounds exactly like old school EB Guts. Yellow for pre-owned :)

Re: Wanted: Lubbock Thieves Steal $13k in Video Game Merchandise

"How they could possibly steal that much merchandise without hijacking several trucks is beyond my comprehension..."

At $150 each, $13k of DSi handhelds would be about 87 units.  That's about 40 lbs and a volume of four-and-a-half square feet.  Wouldn't exactly require several trucks but James is right, how that hell did three people manage to smuggle that much merchandise out of the store?  That's about 30 boxes a piece.  I suppose they could have stolen backstock.  Might be 30 to a box back there.

Andrew Eisen

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

Andrew EisenThe story you just linked to? The story you asked if anyone had seen? Yes, THAT obnoxiousness. I've heard it parroted for nearly two years now.11/27/2014 - 7:57pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: That shes an ex con man?11/27/2014 - 7:54pm
Andrew EisenI've heard the same obnoxious horse poo for years. It's nothing new.11/27/2014 - 7:45pm
ZippyDSMleeAlso anyone see this? http://guardianlv.com/2014/11/anita-sarkeesian-unmasked-feminist-icon-or-con-artist/11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
ZippyDSMleeEvil within is a badly designed game.11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
Andrew EisenSure but you said "widens," hence my confusion. Looking into it, yep, there's a tweak to completely re-frame the image, adding more info at the top and bottom. You apparently need a fairly beefy rig to keep it running smooth when you do that though.11/27/2014 - 6:48pm
Matthew Wilsonthere is vertical fov, not just horizontal fov11/27/2014 - 6:38pm
Andrew EisenWell, you can widen it to 3:1 or even 10:1 but I don't know why you'd want to. From what I understand it's the missing visual info at the top and bottom that some object to, not that there isn't enough on either side.11/27/2014 - 6:36pm
Matthew WilsonI think it widenss the fov, so you get to see more.11/27/2014 - 6:31pm
Andrew EisenI don't see how as doing so would not add any visual information to the top or bottom of the screen.11/27/2014 - 6:04pm
Matthew Wilsonfrom what I read, getting rid of the black bars and stretching it out made for a better play experience.11/27/2014 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenFrom what I hear, there's a ton of "look up and shoot at the guys above you" stuff in the game that the wider frame doesn't accommodate such actions well.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Andrew EisenHaving a game run in scope is not necessarily a bad thing but like any aspect ratio, you have to compose your shots correctly.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Evil Within was pretty bad and to make it worse the way the screen size made it hard for you to see even on a big screen it really hurt the game. Being Artistic is great but when you focus on art rather than what sells you run the risk of that happen11/27/2014 - 5:33pm
Matthew WilsonI kinda hope this is not true. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/nintendo_might_not_be_making_more_gamecube_controller_adapters_at_the_moment11/27/2014 - 1:34pm
Matthew WilsonI saw that. I wish people would stop preording, but sadly that will never happen.11/27/2014 - 1:26pm
Papa MidnightUbisoft has cancelled the Season Pass for Assassin's Creed: Unity (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2ni2ac/ubisoft_cancel_season_pass_for_ac_unity/)11/27/2014 - 1:08pm
NeenekoBut now I can use the christmas discount justification too,11/27/2014 - 11:46am
NeenekoI am also sorely temped by Civ:BE, mostly because I have a demo coming up and I know my productivity will tank.11/27/2014 - 11:45am
MaskedPixelanteThe Evil Within is only a month old, right? And it's already 66% off...11/27/2014 - 10:29am