Wanted: Lubbock Thieves Steal $13k in Video Game Merchandise

August 30, 2011 -

Law enforcement in Lubbock, Texas are on a manhunt for three suspects that they claim have stolen more than $13,000 in video game hardware from local Wal-Mart stores. The suspects allegedly stole Nintendo DS and DSI handheld games from the two local Walmarts (one at 1911 Marsha Sharp Freeway and another at 6315 82nd St).

The suspects are described as a white or Hispanic male, a Hispanic male, and a white or Hispanic woman. They were last seen driving away from the scene in a "black SUV, possibly a Chevrolet Trailblazer or Jeep Cherokee."

How they could possibly steal that much merchandise without hijacking several trucks is beyond my comprehension (perhaps an inside job?), but police aren't revealing details of the crime at this time.

Naturally Lubbock police are looking for anyone with information about the crime to call the local Crime Line at 741-1000, submit tips online at www.lubbockpolice.com or text a tip to 274637 (CRIMES - for text, include the keyword “LBKTIPS” at the beginning of the message followed by a space). All tips remain anonymous.

Source: Lubbock Avalanche Journal

Posted in

Comments

Re: Wanted: Lubbock Thieves Steal $13k in Video Game Merchandise

This is kind of off topic, but still slightly related.

I was browsing through the video game listings on Craigslist last week and I cam across an add for 150 PS2 games. Someone was selling a bulk lot. They had a picture of the games all tossed out on a bed or sofa or something. They were all in yellow and white paper sleeves with round windows. Each had a little yellow or white rectangular sticker in the corner.

I used to work at EB Games and have seen how Gamestop stores their gutted games. This picture immediately reminded me of that and made me question the source of the games.

I tried looking for any police reports in the area of missing games from a GameStop but to no avail. Still makes me wonder.

Re: Wanted: Lubbock Thieves Steal $13k in Video Game Merchandise

yup, sounds exactly like old school EB Guts. Yellow for pre-owned :)

Re: Wanted: Lubbock Thieves Steal $13k in Video Game Merchandise

"How they could possibly steal that much merchandise without hijacking several trucks is beyond my comprehension..."

At $150 each, $13k of DSi handhelds would be about 87 units.  That's about 40 lbs and a volume of four-and-a-half square feet.  Wouldn't exactly require several trucks but James is right, how that hell did three people manage to smuggle that much merchandise out of the store?  That's about 30 boxes a piece.  I suppose they could have stolen backstock.  Might be 30 to a box back there.

Andrew Eisen