Sony: PSN Doing Better After Security Breach

September 1, 2011 -

Sony says this week that, following one of the worst security breaches in recent memory for any company, that sales via its online gaming service are exceeding numbers from before the attack occurred.

As part of a Sony conference at the IFA electronics show, Sony CEO Howard Stringer said that the PlayStation Network has recovered and is now doing better than ever, with 3 million new customers since coming back online earlier this year.

"I'm pleased to tell you that the PSN is more secure and better than ever," said Stringer. "We are aggressively expanding its content. We have more than 3 million new customers since the network came back online, and sales are exceeding what we had before the cyberattacks."

"This year, we at Sony have been flooded, we've been flattened, we've been hacked, we've been singed," he continued. "But the summer of our discontent is behind us. "The past is a prologue to future possibility."

Sony brought the PlayStation Network back online in June after a major security breach forced the company to shut everything down.

Source: Gamasutra

Comments

Re: Sony: PSN Doing Better After Security Breach

I can say I was affected the CC I had was used to try to attempt to buy shoes in New York ;) Luckily I am an impulsive buyer who max'd out his CC but anyways I think Sony has done a lot to win back their customers with offers that one on Home I forgot to get. I am not a fan of their online server because you use the discount don't want to use the program one month and then your access to that game you bought on a discount well you just cant play it.

Other then that there changes to home look better interesting and I am buying the PS keyboard because I have been having so much online.

Plus Novus Prime connectivity with home is pretty cool

Re: Sony: PSN Doing Better After Security Breach

Actually if you pay for a game at a discount it's yours for good at the discounted price, it's the free games you lose access too.

As for the CC stuff, well, if you actively monitor your finances there's not too much to worry on anyway.

Re: Sony: PSN Doing Better After Security Breach

How well are they doing security wise though?

Re: Sony: PSN Doing Better After Security Breach

I talked to a Sony Rep the other day, who told me that Sony reportedly has "the best @#$%ing security in the world now". Dunno how reliable that information is, but since they also have that ID protection thingy, I'd say they learned their lesson.

Re: Sony: PSN Doing Better After Security Breach

Most likely. Sony is run by people, and people get complacent, like those who never update their security software because nothing has happened.

Re: Sony: PSN Doing Better After Security Breach

Well, hindsight IS 20/20.

And it is important to remember that Sony, like every other business out there, are run by real people. Not robots or demons or chaotic neutral pixies.

Re: Sony: PSN Doing Better After Security Breach

I know, I was saying that :P People make mistakes, and all the console fanboys gloating won't acknowledge that it could easily happen with Xbox Live

Poll