R.I.P. Bill 'The Game Doctor' Kunkel

September 5, 2011 -

Bill "The Game Doctor" Kunkel, who is also known as the "Godfather of Videogame Journalism," passed away on September 4. The cause of his death was unknown at the time of this writing. Bill Kunkel, along with Arnie Katz, created the first major video game magazine to be sold on newsstands. The success of that first publication led to the creation of Electronic Games magazine. Over the years Bill Kunkel has been a game designer, a consultant, a partner at J2Games, an expert witness in some of the industry's biggest court cases, a wrestling announcer, a columnist, a comic book writer (from 1977-1978 he wrote Superman, Madame Xanadu, and Vigilante comics for DC Comics and Spider-Man in 1978 - 1979 at Marvel. In 1979, he wrote Richie Rich for Harvey Comics), a strategy guide writer, and an inspiration to young games journalists in the 80's and 90's.

Most will remember him for his "The Game Doctor" columns that appeared in various magazines including EGM and Computer Gaming World, his work at Running With Scissors as the Editor-in-Chief of Postal Nation, and for his many years as a writer for various online and print publications that covered the world of professional wrestling.

In 1999 he was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Classic Gaming Expo along with the other co-founders of the original Electronic Games magazine, Arnie Katz and Joyce Worley-Katz. You can read more about Bill's accomplishments in this Classic Gaming Expo bio.

Bill is survived by his wife, Laurie; sisters, Stephanie Giglio, and Karen and Joellen "Cookie" Kunkel; brothers, Ken and Stuart Kunkel; and numerous nephews and nieces (thanks to Vince Desi for that information).

For those of us who grew up reading his columns and enjoying his writing in various magazines, Bill Kunkel truly was an inspiring force. He is one of the reasons that I decided that writing about video games was a wonderful idea. He is and always will be a legend.

Please send all condolences and tributes to his wife Laurie at ElfKunkel at aol dot com.

Thanks to Running With Scissors founder Vince Desi for informing us of Bill's passing and for the photo. We are sorry for your loss.

Comments

Re: R.I.P. Bill 'The Game Doctor' Kunkel

I grew up reading his works, he inspired me to finally up and become a video game journalist.

Requiescat in pace, friend. You will be missed.

Re: R.I.P. Bill 'The Game Doctor' Kunkel

RIP, Bill. It was great getting to know you - even if it was only for a little while.

MattsworknameYeah, i got started and then made it through t the first few misions anthen blood borne05/23/2015 - 10:13pm
Goth_SkunkWhich one, Dragon Age?05/23/2015 - 8:20pm
Wonderkarpalso waiting patiently for Batman.05/23/2015 - 7:36pm
MattsworknameIn still trying ot beat that game the first time. Freaking game has so much side questing05/23/2015 - 7:34pm
Goth_SkunkPlaying a third and probably final playthrough of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Once that's done, I'll move on to AC: Unity, most likely, then get caught up on A-list games I have yet to play, like Murdered: Soul Suspect and Shadows of Mordor.05/23/2015 - 6:33pm
MattsworknameIf you own a vita and like monster hunter, but dont like the bs filler that goes with it. Try tokiden kiwmai05/23/2015 - 6:11pm
Matthew Wilsonaparently their servers got crushed, but I dont see the game selling well. Nintendo fans tend not to be fans of competitive fps05/23/2015 - 5:48pm
MattsworknameSPlatton looks intersting, Love the are style, gonna give the game a try with the upcoming test fire05/23/2015 - 4:39pm
PHX Corp@Technogeek, I'm returning for one more Run with the Global testfire05/23/2015 - 3:41pm
WonderkarpI'm bouncing all over the place but right now I'd say I'm playing Super Mario 64 trying to max out the stars. 2 worlds and 2 secret stars to go05/23/2015 - 1:12pm
TechnogeekReminder: Splatoon Global Testfire returns this afternoon/evening.05/23/2015 - 12:45pm
Andrew EisenA bit busy with my 30 Days of Netflix project but I did play through the first world of New Super Mario Bros. 2 at a sushi restaurant last night.05/23/2015 - 10:59am
MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm